Can we accurately predict the speed of light using the index of refraction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
bowlbase
Messages
145
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



I was wondering if anyone knew of an equation or table that I could compare my labs measured speed of light to? I'm aware that the index of refraction is 1.000293 at 1 atm and 0°c but was hoping to find a way to check our values specifically. We ended up with 1.0002343 so I know we were close.

thanks for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can play around with effects of wavelength, temperature and pressure (as well as humidity and carbon dioxide content) here.
 
Perfect, thank you! That put us a bit closer to the index (I figured this was the case) and gives me a way to make quick comparison's for future experiments. Really appreciate it.