Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we have some sub chat channels

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    Hi. I registered and paid for membership here just for the chat, and I just found out I can't talk tehnical problems over the chat. There are barely 2-3 users on chat when I log and nobody is talking becose they are afraid to be banned. Is there a midway ? Can we have some sub chat channels where we can talk about physics problems ? I must emphasize I upgraded the account just to talk physics on the chat.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The forum is where you would ask questions and hold discussions about science, that is what the forums are for. Chat is for socializing, for posting things that wouldn't go in the forum, like what you are watching on tv, feeding your cat, etc....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    What If I want a quick replay that a person in the chat can provide instantly ?

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4
    Replies are usually fairly quick, but not chat quick.

6. Feb 6, 2015 #5

Evo

Not to mention that you don't know who is in chat or if the answers they give are correct, there is no one in chat to check for accuracy like in the forum.

7. Feb 6, 2015 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you care more about speed rather than quality and accuracy of the reply? How would you know the person you asked in chat actually knows the correct answer to your question?

Zz.

8. Feb 6, 2015 #7
    I think I'm mature enough to rationalise from the first principles and know if an awnser makes sense or not. And if i'm mistaken and I get fooled I can take the responsability for my actions, don't need some protective shield. But I got the point don't need any more replays. The rules are like this and thats it. No more waste of time.

9. Feb 6, 2015 #8

Evo

You may know if it's misinformation, but what about others? There is no way that we can extend the level of help in the forum to chat. If we did, we'd no longer need the forum. No forum, no chat.

10. Feb 8, 2015 #9

jtbell

Also, questions and answers in the forums are publicly available to anyone who later browses the forum, searches it using the forum's search tool, or does a general Google search. This is a large part of the reason why people are willing to help out here: their efforts are permanently available to other people besides the original questioners. We're not a private help center.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook