What is the reason behind bioluminescent displays in phytoplankton?

• Thread starter AryaUnderfoot
  • Start date
In summary, the jellyfish emits bioluminescence with a ring of green dots at the margin of its bell. This can be seen under normal circumstances, but sometimes a special UV light source is needed to see it.
AryaUnderfoot
Can we see it under normal circumstances? Or do we need the help of special UV light source to see it? I've read that Aequorea victoria can emit bioluminescence with a ring of green dots at the margin of its bell, but normally it is almost invisible to us. What does that mean?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've seen it first hand with normal sight at a bioluminescence bay in Puerto Rico.

Are you specifically asking about A. victoria or bioluminescence in general? In the latter case the answer is unequivocally yes. The most famous example is probably the firefly, which really are quite something if you ever go to a country that has them.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ryan_m_b said:
Are you specifically asking about A. victoria or bioluminescence in general? In the latter case the answer is unequivocally yes. The most famous example is probably the firefly, which really are quite something if you ever go to a country that has them.
About A. victoria.
upload_2017-4-14_1-21-18.png

I mean, if we can see the green ring under normal circumstances, why would we need a fluorescence microscope? And I read that they don't usually produce the ring, unless they are disturbed? I couldn't quite grasp that

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-14_1-19-51.png
    upload_2017-4-14_1-19-51.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 528
If you look on youtube you can find a few videos, shot by regular cameras, where the bioluminescence can be seen. As for why a microscope would be used it's likely so that you can see more physiological detail than your eye can provide.

I have seen it in the Florida Keys, there is an organism (do ask I do not remember) that when you stroke the paddle into the water the volume around the paddle lights up.

The (GFP: Green Fluorescent Protein) fluorescence researchers use under a microscope is only one component of what the jellyfish uses. Prior to the isolation of GFP, a large complex (Aquorin) was isolated which is calcium activated and has chemically driven emission of light.
The jellyfish's chemical drivers (chemo-luminescence) aren't often used by researchers because fluorescence is more convenient.
Aquorin used to be used as an intracellular calcium detector, but there are better things for that now.

Aquatic organisms have ways to control when their show their fluorescence so they can turn it off at certain times. This includes a lot of them which have symbiotic bacteria that actually do the fluorescing.

1. Can we see bioluminescence with the naked eye?

Yes, bioluminescence can be seen with the naked eye under certain conditions. However, it is usually faint and can be difficult to detect in well-lit environments.

2. Where can we see bioluminescence in nature?

Bioluminescence can be found in a variety of environments, including the ocean, forests, caves, and even on land. It is most commonly seen in marine organisms such as jellyfish, plankton, and certain fish species.

3. What causes bioluminescence?

Bioluminescence is caused by a chemical reaction within an organism's body that produces light. This reaction involves the interaction of a luciferase enzyme and a luciferin molecule.

4. Can we see bioluminescence in all colors?

No, bioluminescence is typically seen in blue, green, or yellow-green colors. This is due to the specific chemical components involved in the reaction. However, some organisms have evolved to produce bioluminescence in other colors, such as red or orange.

5. Is bioluminescence harmful to humans?

In most cases, bioluminescence is not harmful to humans. However, some bioluminescent organisms, such as certain types of dinoflagellates, can be toxic if ingested. It is always best to avoid touching or consuming any bioluminescent organisms in nature.