Can you beat the world champion's speed reading record?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hierophant
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
42 replies · 8K views
Enigman said:
Copyright issues perhaps? and they probably wanted a famous text which was easily recognizable...its for marketing of e-readers:
It surely wasn't recognizable.
It was highly confusing and I had to re-read it several times, and gave up getting it.

In other words, it wasn't interesting or enjoyable.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." (Woody Allen)
 
Caveat said:
lmao that was a wild guess, I'm an average reader
:smile:
I meant crop the picture not the post...picture was exceeding the post frame.
 
lol yeah I know but it would have been deleted anyways because I was just being silly.. I couldn't read 3000 wpm if my life depended on it
 
Mandelbroth said:
Amoebae don't have finals to worry about. :-p

I feel like this would be the biggest upside. :D
 
Around 840wpm for me, 3/3 correct (843 on the first test, 837 on the second).
 
First try, I got 245...the writing was different from what I'm used to so I read a little slower. The second try, I got 331.
 
Evo said:
. . .I guess considering I have mild OCD and need to make sense of things. It made no sense. Eh, I read for pleasure, not for speed.

I have severe OCD and sometimes compulsively reread sentences ten or fifteen times. It helps me memorize the material, though. :D
 
I got 4WPM. Oh oops - forgot to read the directions, takes too long... this took 6 minutes to write and then check...
 
You read 10,540 words per minute.
That makes you 4,116% faster than the national average.

That's because I clicked finish right away, I immediately recognized the passage, all three questions were right.

When I do it for reals I get 230 wpm, I guess I appreciate reading comprehension more than the swiftness of reading.