1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you Call this a standard limit?

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    lim x->o sin(nx)/x = n for n E real numbers

i havent seen it in any books but it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If we put ##y = nx##, then the limit is equivalent to
    $$\lim_{y \rightarrow 0} \left( \frac{\sin(y)}{y/n}\right) = \lim_{y \rightarrow 0}\left( n \frac{\sin(y)}{y}\right) = n \left(\lim_{y \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(y)}{y}\right)$$
    The limit inside the parentheses on the right hand side is standard, equal to ##1##. (Proof?)

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It can be derived from this limit:
    $$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac {sin(x)}{x} = 1$$

$$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin(nx)}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{n \cdot sin(nx)}{nx} $$
    $$= n \lim_{u \to 0}\frac{sin(u)}{u} = n\cdot 1$$

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    so im a genuise right for inventing it?

6. Oct 8, 2013 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Usually, potential candidates for the Fields Medal must wait to see if it is awarded to them. :smile:

7. Oct 8, 2013 #6

Mark44

I've seen this problem in several calculus books, so I think you're premature in saying that you invented it.

8. Oct 8, 2013 #7
    problem yes, but general standard solution no. they just say lim x->o sint/t = 1
    my way is far more efficient.

9. Oct 8, 2013 #8

Mark44

Since it has appeared as a problem in many textbooks, thousands upon thousands of students have worked it, so you can't say you invented something that many people have done before you thought of doing it.

10. Oct 8, 2013 #9
    many people have done many things but since i have not seen anywhere

lim x->o sin(nx)/x = n

you can say that I invented it. its like you know dancing many people could have foxtrotted but its the person that calls it foxtrot and creates a perimeter of foxtrot he/she is the inventor.

The GREAT thing about my standard limit is that its FAR superior to the wellknown standard limit that is lim x->0 sinx/x = 1 this is far inferior to my limit.

11. Oct 8, 2013 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is not "your" limit. It is a completely trivial corollary.

12. Oct 8, 2013 #11
    show me where lim x->0 sin(nx)/x = n is written?

i feel alot of hostility here i dont know why, i thought this forum was about comradery and discussing ideas about science without persecution.

13. Oct 8, 2013 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zero, just because you write something down which has not been literally word for word written down doesn't mean it is a great discovery that you have made. Anybody who has a solid understanding of calculus would have been able to calculate your limit immediately upon seeing it.

Furthermore, not that it's terribly relevant, but your result is stated in this here yahoo answer:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090919181027AADfJkR
    A genuine mathematical discovery is when you can answer a problem that people have been unable to answer before; answering a problem that people simply haven't bothered to write down before isn't a discovery, it's just applying some math to a problem.

14. Oct 8, 2013 #13

Mark44

We are disputing your claim that you "discovered" something that has appeared in print for many years. I don't have any calculus textbooks with me right now, but I'll bet you could find this in many of the books that are used in calculus courses, such as Thomas-Finney, Larson, and others.

15. Oct 8, 2013 #14
    Ok we have a lot of haters here today.

All im saying is that the standard limit: lim x->0 sin(nx)/x = n is FAAAAAAR superior than lim x->0 sin(x)/x = 1
    its not trivial at all. the yahoo link provided above is not my Standard Limit and its not as simple and elegant.

I think people here should be more open minded about discoveries you know alot of scientist work so far they become nearsighted to great solutions and things do slip the system.

16. Oct 8, 2013 #15

Mark44

You are confused if you think what has transpired here falls under the category of "hate." No one has said anything of a personal nature about you. We have made valid points that contradict your claim of inventing something.
    As already stated, "your" limit is well known, and is an easy corollary of the sin(x)/x limit.
    Since you don't have any more to offer, I am closing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook