Limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity.

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the limit function of (sin nx)/(sin x) as n goes to infinity. It is mentioned that the limit of (sin nx)/(pi x) as n goes to infinity is the delta distribution δ(x). However, when the "x" in the denominator is exchanged with (sin x), the limit does not exist. The function (sin nx)/(sin x) appears to become a sum of various delta distributions at the zeros of (sin x), but the speaker is unsure how to solve this problem mathematically.
uNmiN
Hello everyone.
I need help trying to calculate/ trying to realize what the limit function of (sin nx)/(sin x) as n goes to infinity is.

from another topic here on MBH ("Show δn = (sin nx) / (pi x) is a delta distribution") and after research with Wolfram Alpha I know that the limit function of (sin nx)/(pi x) as n goes to infinity is the delta distribution δ(x). I am wondering now what happens if we exchange the "x" from the denominator to (sin x). Now the denominator is a periodic function of x and reaches zero periodically. By plotting the function (sin nx)/(sin x) with increasing values for n It seems that the function becomes something like a sum of various delta distributions at the zeros of (sin x) (which actually makes some sense..), with alternating signs. But I don't know how to tackle this problem more 'mathematically'. Is there a way we can reach that result and/or solve this limit?

Thanks in advance!
uNmiN.

Physics news on Phys.org
uNmiN said:
Hello everyone.
I need help trying to calculate/ trying to realize what the limit function of (sin nx)/(sin x) as n goes to infinity is.

from another topic here on MBH ("Show δn = (sin nx) / (pi x) is a delta distribution") and after research with Wolfram Alpha I know that the limit function of (sin nx)/(pi x) as n goes to infinity is the delta distribution δ(x). I am wondering now what happens if we exchange the "x" from the denominator to (sin x). Now the denominator is a periodic function of x and reaches zero periodically. By plotting the function (sin nx)/(sin x) with increasing values for n It seems that the function becomes something like a sum of various delta distributions at the zeros of (sin x) (which actually makes some sense..), with alternating signs. But I don't know how to tackle this problem more 'mathematically'. Is there a way we can reach that result and/or solve this limit?

Thanks in advance!
uNmiN.

Hi uNmiN, :)

$$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sin(nx)}{\sin x}=\frac{1}{\sin x}\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sin(nx)$$

For a fixed value $x$, $\sin(nx)$ alternates sign as $n$ changes. Therefore the limit of $\sin(nx)$ as $n$ goes to infinity does not exist. Thus the limit $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sin(nx)}{\sin x}$ does not exist.

I don't think it does not exist, since the same can be said about sin(nx)/x and this limit exist being equal to the delta distribution

It's not the limit of the sequence sin(nx) I'm talking about, but the limit of sin(nx)/sin(x) as a function of x..

1. What does the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity represent?

The limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity represents the behavior of the function (sin nx) / (sin x) as the value of n approaches infinity. It helps us understand how the function behaves as the value of n increases without bound.

2. How do you find the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity?

To find the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity, we can use the L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. Both methods involve taking the limit of the numerator and denominator separately and then simplifying the expression to find the final limit.

3. What is the significance of the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity?

The limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of trigonometric functions as the value of n increases without bound. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing.

4. Can the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity be evaluated for all values of x?

No, the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity can only be evaluated for certain values of x. For example, if x is a multiple of pi, the limit will be equal to 0. However, if x is not a multiple of pi, the limit will not exist. This is because the function (sin nx) / (sin x) will oscillate and not converge to a single value as n approaches infinity.

5. How does the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity differ from the limit of sin x as x goes to infinity?

The limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity and the limit of sin x as x goes to infinity are different because they involve different variables. In the first limit, we are looking at the behavior of the function as n approaches infinity, while in the second limit, we are looking at the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity. Additionally, the limit of = (sin nx) / (sin x) as n goes to infinity may not always exist, while the limit of sin x as x goes to infinity will always be equal to infinity or negative infinity.