Can you check the solution for this second order ODE?

In summary, the given equation is a second order ODE that can be transformed into a first order ODE by substituting y(t) = dx/dt. The solution involves a sinusoidal function, but it also includes a second solution x = t + const. The position of the particle can be calculated using the solution for velocity and initial conditions. The sets of constants (C1,C2) and (A1,A2) are connected by a linear transformation and can be used interchangeably. For given initial conditions, the constants can be determined to satisfy the solution.
ecastro
The second order ODE is,

\begin{equation*}
\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -\omega^2_g \frac{dx}{dt}
\end{equation*}

I tried solving this by substitution of the second order derivative into a variable and transforming the equation into a second order polynomial, and I get the solution involving an exponential. But, the solution includes a sinusoidal function, which I don't know how it got a sinusoidal function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ecastro:

Consider a substitution of y(t) = dx/dt to get a first order ODE, dy/dt = -ωg2 y

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi @ecastro:

I was hoping my post would help you recognize that a sin or cos is NOT a solution. Did you get that? My guess is that the given sin or cos solution is a typo.

You are correct that an exponential is a solution, but there is also a second solution: x = t + const.

Regards,
Buzz

Mod note: Post referred to below is now deleted, as it contained a complete solution .
Thank you for your answer. It turns out I misunderstood the equation; I am sorry. The original equation is this,

\begin{equation*}
\ddot{v}_x = -\omega_g^2 v_x.
\end{equation*}

The ##v_x## is the velocity of the particle along the ##x## direction, and a dot above the function means a derivative with respect to time. So this equation should have a sinusoidal function as a solution. If I am not mistaken, the solution is

\begin{eqnarray*}
v\left(t\right) &=& C_1 e^{\pm i \omega_g t} \\
&=& C_1 \left(\cos \omega_g t \pm i \sin \omega_g t\right).
\end{eqnarray*}

From here, I can integrate the velocity component with respect to time to calculate the position of the particle; but it would seem that the position of the particle is real, how can I eliminate the imaginary component?

Last edited by a moderator:
The general solution is
##v(t)=C_1 e^{i\omega_g t}+C_2 e^{-i\omega_g t}=C_1(\cos \omega_g t+i\sin\omega_g t)+C_2(\cos \omega_g t-i\sin\omega_g t)##.
Alternatively, by defining the new constants ##A_1=C_1+C_2## and ##A_2=i(C_1-C_2)##:
##v(t)=A_1\cos \omega_g t+A_2\sin\omega_g t##.
If ##A_1## and ##A_2## are chosen real, ##v(t)## will also be real.

eys_physics said:
Alternatively, by defining the new constants ##A_1=C_1+C_2## and ##A_2=i(C_1-C_2)##:
##v(t)=A_1\cos \omega_g t+A_2\sin\omega_g t##.
If ##A_1## and ##A_2## are chosen real, ##v(t)## will also be real.

Is this acceptable? The first constants, ##C_1## and ##C_2## can be calculated if initial conditions are given, right?

Here is the solution of the equation with respect to position,

\begin{equation*}
x - x_0 = r_g \sin \left(\omega_g t\right),
\end{equation*}

where ##\omega_g = q B / m##, ##r_g = m v_{\perp} / \left(|q| B\right)##, and ##x_0## is the initial position.

ecastro said:
Is this acceptable? The first constants, ##C_1## and ##C_2## can be calculated if initial conditions are given, right?

Here is the solution of the equation with respect to position,

\begin{equation*}
x - x_0 = r_g \sin \left(\omega_g t\right),
\end{equation*}

where ##\omega_g = q B / m##, ##r_g = m v_{\perp} / \left(|q| B\right)##, and ##x_0## is the initial position.

The sets of constants, i.e. ##(C_1,C_2)## and ##(A_1,A_2)## are connected by a linear transformations. For given initial conditions you can either determine ##C_1## and ##C_2##, or ##A_1## and ##A_2##. I only introduced the constants ##A_1## and ##A_2## for convenience. As I said in my previous post ##A_1## and ##A_2## will be real if ##v(t)## is real. However, ##C_2## will not be. But, if you prefer you can keep using ##C_1## and ##C_2##.

From your solution I suppose your initial conditions are
$$x(0)=x_0$$,
and
$$v(0)=r_g\omega_g$$.

By integrating the expression for ##v(t')## from 0 to to ##t## on both sides we have
$$x(t)-x_0=(A_1/\omega_g)\sin\omega_g t -(A_2/\omega_g )(\cos\omega_g t -1) $$

So, the solution you posted is satisfied if
$$A_1=r_g \omega_g$$,
and
$$A_2=0$$.

You can also use the set ##(C_1,C_2)## but the solution becomes slight more cumbersome, I guess.

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the second order. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you check the solution for a second order ODE?

To check the solution for a second order ODE, you can plug the solution into the original equation and its derivatives. If the solution satisfies the equation, then it is a valid solution to the ODE.

3. What are the methods for solving a second order ODE?

There are several methods for solving a second order ODE, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The most appropriate method to use depends on the form and complexity of the ODE.

4. Can a second order ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order ODE can have multiple solutions. In fact, most second order ODEs have infinitely many solutions, as they typically involve two arbitrary constants that can take on any value.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when checking the solution for a second order ODE?

One common mistake to avoid when checking the solution for a second order ODE is forgetting to take the derivatives of the solution. It is important to verify that the solution satisfies all derivatives of the original equation, not just the equation itself.