1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you check this proof please: sets?

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A,B,C,D are sets.

Prove that if C is contained in A and D is contained in B, then C∩ D is contained in A∩ B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x be any element.

Then There exists (x that belongs to C∩D) and (x does not belong to A∩ B)

So x belongs to C and x belongs to D

If x belongs to C, since C is contained in A, then x belongs to A.
    If x belongs to D, since D is contained in B, then x belongs to B.
    So x belongs to A intersect B, a contradiction.

Then the original statement is true.

Is it okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That needn't be the case at all. Let [itex]A=B=C=D=\mathbb{R}[/itex].

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    Well, then can I say to assume that because I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.

I'm confused by what you are saying....I should say A=B=C=D=R and then what? I'm not sure I follow...is the rest okay?

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't do proof by contradiction, it just muddles things. Everything else was fine.

Hence all x in C intersect D are in A intersect B, and C intersect D is a subset of A intersect B. It's much cleaner that way

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was giving you a counterexample to demonstrate that your opening statement is false. If you let all 4 sets equal the real numbers then it is not the case that that there exists an [itex]x\in C\cap D[/itex] with [itex]x\notin A\cap B[/itex].

7. Feb 11, 2009 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Office Shredder that you should forget about proof by contradiction here, but I don't agree that this all by itself is fine. You should include a line that says that [itex]x\in C\cap D[/itex]. After all, you're supposed to show that [itex](C \cap D) \subset (A \cap B)[/itex]. Those two sets should be connected by your argument.

8. Feb 11, 2009 #7
    thanks guys...I actually I did include such a line in my formal write-up so thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook