Convergence of series with power sums in numerator and denominator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
chemnoob.
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine whether series diverges of converges (conditionally or absolutely)
(1+2)/(1+3) + (1+2+4)/(1+3+9) + (1+2+4+8)/(1+3+9+27) ...

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm assuming that I would have to put it into sum notation but I am struggling with that.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


chemnoob. said:

Homework Statement



Determine whether series diverges of converges (conditionally or absolutely)
(1+2)/(1+3) + (1+2+4)/(1+3+9) + (1+2+4+8)/(1+3+9+27) ...

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm assuming that I would have to put it into sum notation but I am struggling with that.
It looks to me like the general term of your series is
[tex]a_n = \frac{\sum_{i = 0}^n 2^i}{\sum_{i = 0}^n 3^i}[/tex]

Can you work with that?
 


Both series are geometric series, so you should be able to get a simpler expression for an. Once you do that, you could take the limit of an as n goes to infinity. If you get a nonzero value, you know the series diverges. If you get zero, then you need to use more tests, such as the ratio test, limit comparison test, etc.
 


Mark44 said:
It looks to me like the general term of your series is
[tex]a_n = \frac{\sum_{i = 0}^n 2^i}{\sum_{i = 0}^n 3^i}[/tex]

Can you work with that?

I think you are missing a sum at the beginning of all of that .. but I still don't know how you would go about solving that!
 


What I wrote is the general term of the series, not the whole series. See if you can write an without the two summations, using what you know about finite geometric series.