Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you do more than 40 hours of calculation per week?

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    I keep track of how much time I spend doing intellectual labor. It works out to 60% of my free time and 49 hours per week. I also separate my labor into two categories: hard and easy. The hard category comes to 43 hours per week since last April. That includes computer coding and writing up paper solutions which I will eventually code into a computer. I'm building an automated theorem prover and it's very hard. What bugs me however is that I cannot average more than 43 hours per week. It should be 60 hours per week and 80% of my free time. I try to work on this automated theorem prover as much as possible but my brain gets burned out way too much. It would be some consolation if I knew that other people have the same problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    24/7 Calculus :D Ok, a few hours of sleep here n there.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    If you aren't able to work efficiently after some amount of time, give it a rest. No need to force yourself if you aren't going to be productive. Also, just because someone works more, that doesn't mean they are more productive.

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I have nothing but free time, and I spend 40—60% of it sleeping. I probably haven't spent a total of 40 hours calculating in my entire life.
    Speaking of which, it's time for my midnight nap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook