How many hours of research did you do a week(undergrad)

• Thread starter Unsure2534
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary: If you are looking to join a research group, you should expect to put in at least 30 hours per week. This is time you will not be able to spend studying for your classes. You may be able to get academic credit for your research, but this will depend on the school you attend.
Unsure2534
I work 20 hours a week and take on average 15+ units a semester and while this is so far fine it is hard while also managing free time and personal relationships. I want to get into research but I'm unsure how many hours I can realistically do while maintaining a healthy balanced life. How did you manage doing research with full time school and part time work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unsure2534 said:
I work 20 hours a week and take on average 15+ units a semester and while this is so far fine it is hard while also managing free time and personal relationships. I want to get into research but I'm unsure how many hours I can realistically do while maintaining a healthy balanced life. How did you manage doing research with full time school and part time work?
It's not clear what kind of research you are doing.

Is it for coursework? Is it something separate from your studies?

If you are working 20 hours a week and taking 15+ credits during the semester, your plate is about full. If you bomb out of your undergraduate program, your research problem will have solved itself. Is that what you want?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what kind of research you are doing.

Is it for coursework? Is it something separate from your studies?

If you are working 20 hours a week and taking 15+ credits during the semester, your plate is about full. If you bomb out of your undergraduate program, your research problem will have solved itself. Is that what you want?

As of right now I'm not doing any research. The research I want to do will involve singing up with a lab and it will be separate from my classes. Yes right now I work two full days friday and saturday and a half day shift sunday. I do most of my studying during the week at night and this still leaves me friday and saturday night plus sunday for myself or to catch up.

For those of you who did research during undergrad did you have to cut back on classes or do it mainly in the summer? I want to get into research to see if grad school will be an option for me(if I enjoy research) but I'm not sure how others who have done it managed it with classes.

I'm presently a senior in undergrad, been working with the same group since I was a freshy.

It's quite a tough balance. I decided to do a 4-year instead of 3-year undergrad so that I could take fewer credits per semester and do more research. I average 13 (barely a full-time student) but I also do research for 25-30 hours a week (~15 meeting with advisors, the rest independent work).

If you're already working 20 hours a week, you will have serious difficulty fitting enough research into your schedule to become a productive member of the group. Is staying for an extra semester or two and taking fewer credits an option? Have you sought out opportunities to get paid for research? At most schools (I believe), honors students have the ability to apply for research mentorships/scholarships/fellowships.

Likes Unsure2534
I am going to look into any paid research, if I can get paid even minimum wage that will be a minor pay cut but enough for me to quit my job. Do you by any chance get paid for the hours you put in? I mean 30 hours with no pay would be tough. Thanks for the suggestion if getting paid is out of the question I will potentially talk to my advisor to take an extra year to finish so I can do research. I can also potentially cut back on my work schedule but not completely in order to pay my bills(financial aid only covers so much).

How many hours minimum would you expect from someone looking to join your lab in order to be productive?

Can you get academic credit for your research? At the college where I work, students who do research supervised by a faculty member can register for a certain number of credit hours (depending on how much work they're expected to do) of a special "Research" course. If so, would this allow you to reduce your course load?

1. How many hours of research did you typically do per week during your undergraduate studies?

During my undergraduate studies, I typically spent an average of 10-15 hours per week on research. This included time spent in the lab or conducting experiments, reading and analyzing research articles, and writing up my findings.

2. Did the amount of research you did vary depending on the semester or year of your undergraduate studies?

Yes, the amount of research I did varied throughout my undergraduate studies. In the earlier years, I spent less time on research as I was still taking introductory courses and focusing on building a strong foundation in my field. As I progressed to higher level courses and completed more advanced research projects, the amount of time I spent on research increased.

3. How did you balance your research with other academic and extracurricular commitments?

I made sure to prioritize my research commitments and plan my schedule accordingly. I would set aside specific blocks of time each week for research and make sure to stick to that schedule. I also communicated with my professors and advisors to ensure that I was managing my time effectively and not taking on too much at once.

4. Did you have any specific techniques or strategies for conducting research efficiently?

Yes, I found that staying organized and breaking down my research tasks into smaller, manageable chunks helped me to work more efficiently. I also made sure to regularly communicate with my research advisor and ask for feedback to ensure I was on the right track. Additionally, I utilized online databases and other resources to streamline my research process.

5. How did your undergraduate research experience prepare you for your current role as a scientist?

My undergraduate research experience provided me with valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are essential in my current role as a scientist. It also gave me a strong foundation in my field and allowed me to gain hands-on experience in conducting research, which has been crucial in my career development.