Can You Find Affordable DSPs Capable of 16 MHz ADC and 512-Point FFT?

• Thread starter Ravaner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dsp
In summary, the person is looking for a DSP (at an affordable price) that can perform ADC at 16 MHz and FFT on 512 points. They also need the FFT to be done in real-time and are looking for something under $100. The suggested solution is to combine an ADC with a BlackFin DSP or to use a Microchip dsPIC range of processors, which have 4Msps 12-bit AtoD converters and up to 100MHz clock speeds at prices less than $10. Low-cost development systems are available and an FFT code from their library can be used. The person is encouraged to share more information about their project for better recommendations.
Ravaner
Hello. I've searched without any real success on the web. I'm looking for a DSP (at affordable price !) which is able to accomplish ADC fonction (at least @ 16 MHz) and FFT on at least 512 points panel. If someone can transmit some manufacturer references ... Thanks by advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How many bits per sample? Do you have any microcontroller (uC) or other processing devices already? Do you need the FFT to be done in about real time?

Likes .Scott
I assume you are looking for something under $100.
And the 16MHz is the sample rate of the ADC.

I think the problem is that nobody markets that to hobbyists because they require too much support.
There are Infineon TriCore parts that fit your bill, but the evaluation boards are $5K.

These parts are sometimes used in consumer goods - but even if you took apart an auto radar sensor, the part inside may not be reprogrammable.

As @berkeman suggests, your solution might be to put together a few parts: 1st an ADC, then pipe that into a $20 BlackFin DSP.

Thanks for replies

Likes berkeman
Microchip make the dsPIC range of 32 bit signal processors. They have several 4Msps 12 bit AtoD converters in the chip that can be interleaved to get 16Msps. Processor clock speeds are up to 100MHz, with prices less than $10. Low cost development systems are available. You may need to use an FFT from their code library. I would interlace the FFT code with the AtoD.
http://www.microchip.com/paramchartsearch/chart.aspx?branchID=8097

It would help if we knew what project you were planning.

Likes jim hardy, Tom.G, Averagesupernova and 1 other person

Related to Can You Find Affordable DSPs Capable of 16 MHz ADC and 512-Point FFT?

1. What is DSP and how is it used in amateur projects?

DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing, which is the manipulation of digital signals to extract or modify information. In amateur projects, DSP is commonly used in areas such as audio processing, image processing, and data analysis.

2. How much does DSP equipment cost for amateurs?

The cost of DSP equipment for amateurs can vary greatly depending on the specific project and the level of complexity. However, with the advancements in technology, there are now many affordable options available for amateurs, ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

3. What are some examples of DSP projects that can be done at an amateur's price?

Some examples of DSP projects that can be done at an amateur's price include building a digital audio filter, creating a digital image filter, and implementing a digital equalizer for music. These projects can all be done using affordable DSP equipment and software.

4. Do I need to have a background in programming to work with DSP at an amateur's price?

While some level of programming knowledge can be helpful in working with DSP, it is not always necessary. Many DSP equipment and software come with user-friendly interfaces and tutorials that make it accessible for amateurs without a programming background.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about DSP for amateurs?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about DSP for amateurs, including tutorials, forums, and online courses. There are also books and guides specifically geared towards beginners in DSP. Additionally, many universities and community colleges offer courses in DSP for amateurs at an affordable price.