Can You Find the Greatest Value Using Only AM-GM Inequality?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the equation x3y4 is greater than x^3y^4 for 2x+3y=7 if x>=0,y>=0. The equation can be solved for x using the A.M. G.M. inequality or the Lagrange multiplier method.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the greatest value of [itex]x^3y^4[/itex] if 2x+3y=7 and x>=0,y>=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the 7 numbers be (x/3) 3 times and (y/4) 4 times
Using AM GM inequality
[itex]
\dfrac{ 3.\frac{x}{3} + 4.\frac{y}{4}}{7} \geq \left[ \left( \frac{x}{3}\right)^3 . \left( \frac{y}{4}\right)^4\right]^{1/7} \\
\left( \dfrac{x+y}{7} \right)^7 \times 3^3.4^4 \geq x^3y^4
[/itex]
But I'm stuck here :(

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Find the greatest value of [itex]x^3y^4[/itex] if 2x+3y=7 and x>=0,y>=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the 7 numbers be (x/3) 3 times and (y/4) 4 times
Using AM GM inequality
[itex]
\dfrac{ 3.\frac{x}{3} + 4.\frac{y}{4}}{7} \geq \left[ \left( \frac{x}{3}\right)^3 . \left( \frac{y}{4}\right)^4\right]^{1/7} \\
\left( \dfrac{x+y}{7} \right)^7 \times 3^3.4^4 \geq x^3y^4
[/itex]
But I'm stuck here :(
It's not clear in your problem statement, but I believe the restriction of x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0 applies to the linear equation, 2x + 3y = 7.

Sketch a graph of the portion of this line that lies in the first quadrant. Then solve this equation for one of its variables to substitute into x3y4 to make this a function of one variable.

Mark44 said:
It's not clear in your problem statement, but I believe the restriction of x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0 applies to the linear equation, 2x + 3y = 7.

Sketch a graph of the portion of this line that lies in the first quadrant. Then solve this equation for one of its variables to substitute into x3y4 to make this a function of one variable.

Alternatively, you can use the Lagrange multiplier method. Or, you can recognize this as a so-called "Geometric Programming Problem" and use methods devised for those types of problems.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Alternatively, you can use the Lagrange multiplier method. Or, you can recognize this as a so-called "Geometric Programming Problem" and use methods devised for those types of problems.

RGV

Thanks. It solved my problem. Though I did not know Lagrange multiplier method but a little GOOGLing around helped me learn this method. But I'm required to solve this using only the A.M. G.M. inequality. Btw thanks for introducing this method to me. It will be really helpful in solving complicated problems.:smile:

Related to Can You Find the Greatest Value Using Only AM-GM Inequality?

What does "find the greatest value" mean?

"Find the greatest value" means to determine the largest or highest number in a set of numbers or data points.

Why is finding the greatest value important?

Finding the greatest value is important because it allows you to identify the most significant or dominant number in a set, which can provide valuable insights and inform decision making.

What methods can be used to find the greatest value?

Some common methods to find the greatest value include sorting the data in ascending or descending order and then selecting the first or last number, using the MAX function in spreadsheets or programming languages, and visually analyzing a graph or chart.

What are some potential pitfalls when finding the greatest value?

One potential pitfall is selecting the wrong method for finding the greatest value, which can lead to incorrect results. Another pitfall is not considering the context of the data and drawing incorrect conclusions based on the greatest value alone.

How can finding the greatest value be applied in real-life situations?

Finding the greatest value can be applied in various real-life situations, such as identifying the highest stock price in a given time period, determining the tallest building in a city, or finding the highest test score in a class. It can also be used in data analysis to identify outliers or anomalies.