Can you insulate bare copper wire with spray enamel for an inductor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fronzbot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Fronzbot
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I'm working on a little project and I need to build an inductor. Now the problem is I have bare copper wire (like, a ton of it) and was hoping there was a way that I could insulate it so I could use it like typical magnet wire? Is it possible for me to just use a spray-enamel? I have a feeling that when i start coiling the wire that the enamel would break though (I also don't know if would create a good enough of a barrier). Worst case I spend a few bucks on magnet wire, but I was just wondering if DIY insulation was possible and how to do it?

Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Save yourself the headache... buy magnet wire. You can get small spools from electronics suppliers for $5.