Can you please check my solution of this kinematics problem?

In summary, the question involves finding the speed and angle at which a boat should be directed in order to cross a river between two points. The speed of the river and the angle of the boat's trajectory are given, and the equations needed to solve the problem involve kinematics and basic trigonometry. However, when using the given equations to solve for the boat's speed and angle, the results do not match those given in the textbook. The suggestion is made to try using the river bank as the x-coordinate or to create vector diagrams and use the sine and cosine rules to solve for the velocities. It is noted that there may be a discrepancy in the value of the distance between points A and B.
CherryWine

Homework Statement

A boat is crossing a river between via points A and B which are d=400m apart. The speed of the river is V2=2 m/s and is constant along the AB line. The angle of the boats trajectory is α=45 degrees. At what speed V2 and with what angle β should the boat be directed so that it crosses the ABA path in t=4min? The angle β is the same in all directions of boats motion.

Picture: http://pokit.org/get/?c13e83eda46604a35787df84c222522d.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
All kinematic. Equation for the roots of a quadratic polynomial. Basic trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first of all I set my coordinate plane so that the AB line lies on the x-axis. Then we can draw vector diagrams and deduce that if the boat is moving strictly on the AB line then it holds $$v_2sinα=v_1sinβ$$. The speed of the boat in the direction of AB is given by $$v_{AB}=v_2cosβ+v_1cosα$$ and the speed of the boat in the direction of BA is given by $$v_{BA}=v_1cosα-v_2cosβ$$. The given speed equations can be deduced from studying the following two diagrams:

http://pokit.org/get/?2751e09a819e7d327fd72e25fef6c7eb.jpg

The total time is given by $$t=t_1+t_2 =>\frac d {v_2cosβ+v_1cosα}+ \frac d {v_2cosβ-v_1cosα} = t$$ which after some algebra yields $$β=arccot(\frac {d+\sqrt {d^2+v_1^2t^2cos^2α}} {v_1tsinα})$$. Now the problem is that I obtain the value of $$β=20.16°$$ and then the boat speed from the equation $$v_2sinβ=v_1sinα$$ as $$v_2=4.10 m/s$$. However the answers given in the textbook are as follows $$β≈35° ~and~ v_2=2.49 m/s$$ I do not see how were the results from the texbook obtained, so if you could check my results so I know if I've done it correctly. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try checking by another method: ie. use the river bank as your x coordinate.
Or maybe you can use your two diagrams to sum the velocities head-to-tail, making two triangles. You can then use the sine and cosine rules to solve for the sides using the information you have about the magnitude and direction of the final velocities ... perhaps.

Note:
CherryWine said:
[T]he AB line lies on the x-axis. Then we can draw vector diagrams and deduce that if the boat is moving strictly on the AB line then it holds $$v_2sinα=v_1sinβ$$.
Note: in the diagram, v1 is the river velocity, which makes angle alpha to the AB line which is your x axis.
So you appear to have the angles backwards here: ##v_1\sin\alpha = v_2\sin\beta##
You realize of course that: ##\sin\alpha = \cos\alpha = 1/\sqrt{2}##
... but do we take ##|AB|=d## or ##|AB| = d\sqrt{2}##? ie. is "d" measured along the bank or directly from A to B?

Likes CherryWine

1. What is the purpose of checking a solution for a kinematics problem?

The purpose of checking a solution for a kinematics problem is to ensure that it is correct and accurate. This helps to identify any mistakes or errors in the solution and allows for a better understanding of the problem.

2. How can I check my solution for a kinematics problem?

You can check your solution for a kinematics problem by comparing it to the known correct solution, using mathematical equations and principles, and checking for units and significant figures.

3. Why is it important to double-check my solution for a kinematics problem?

Double-checking your solution for a kinematics problem is important because it ensures that the solution is reliable and accurate. It also helps to catch any mistakes or errors that may have been made during the solving process.

4. Can I use a calculator to check my solution for a kinematics problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your solution for a kinematics problem. However, it is important to make sure that the calculator is used correctly and that the correct calculations are being performed.

5. What should I do if my solution for a kinematics problem does not match the known correct solution?

If your solution for a kinematics problem does not match the known correct solution, you should review your work and calculations to identify any mistakes or errors. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to better understand the problem and your solution.