Physics Kinematics Question (Check my work?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics kinematics question about a ball being thrown vertically from a window above the ground. The initial velocity of the ball is given and the question is to find its velocity when it hits the ground. The conversation also includes a second question about dropping a second ball from the same window to ensure that both balls hit the ground at the same time. The solution involves using kinematics equations and energy conservation to find the answers. The summary concludes that the velocity of the ball when it hits the ground is 8.85 m/s and the second ball should be dropped 0.34 seconds after the first ball is thrown.
varyvod001
Physics Kinematics Question! :) (Check my work?)

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically up from a window that is 3.6 meters above the ground. The ball's initial velocity is 2.8 m/s up. What is the ball's velocity when it hits the ground? How long after the first ball should a second ball be dropped from the same window to ensure that both hit the ground at the same time?

Homework Equations

I used v_2^2=v_1^2 + 2aΔd & Δd = v_1Δt+ 1/2(aΔt^2) & d = 1/2 (v1+v2)t but the other kinematics equations may also be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the equation, (v_2^2 - v_1^2)/2a = Δd. So I plugged in v_2 as 0 to find where the ball would stop and start going down. A is gravity, -9.8 m/s. V_1 is 2.8. So I got -7.84/-19.6 which is 0.4 as the displacement. That means that the ball will have to travel that distance down to the window and then the 3.6 m down.
So now it's total down displacement is 4 m. Its v_1 is now 0. It's v_2 is what I want to find. I made down the positive direction because I didn't want to work with negatives so the displacement is 4 m and the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2. Plugging that into my equation, I got v_2 as being 8.85 m/s.

For the second part, I did the second mentioned equation for the second ball. I found that since v_1 was 0, that part could be removed from the equation and time was equal to 0.75 seconds.
The first ball would take 0.29 seconds to go up according to the 3rd equation and 0.91 seconds to come down according to the second.
0.29+0.91 = 1.2 and 1.2 - 0.85 = 0.35 so the second ball should be dropped 0.35 seconds later!
Any mistakes? :/

Physics news on Phys.org

Use energy conservation instead? It is relativley easy with that. Then divide the problem into 2 sections
1. Find the max height from the total energy with 0-potential at the groud:
[itex] mgh_{window}+\dfrac{1}{2}mv_0^2 = mg(h_{max}+h_{window}) [/itex]
[itex] \dfrac{1}{2}mv_0^2 = mgh_{max}[/itex]
[itex] h_{max} = \dfrac{v_0^2}{2g}[/itex]
So now the problem is to use energy conservation to answer the 1st q:
[itex] mgh_{max} = 1/2mv_{hit}^2[/itex]
[itex] v_{hit} = \sqrt{2gh_{max}}[/itex]
you can answer the 2nd question by demanding that the 2 objects has the same velocity and acceleration at the window(the same position is obvious) make your 2 equations and solve them for t( use that the velocity of the vertical thrown object is v0 when it goes down again, because of energy conservation)

1. correct
Taking downward as positive.
v2=u2+2as
v2=2.82+2(9.8)(3.6)
v=8.85m/s

2. Correct
a. If the ball dropped,
t=√3.6(2)/(9.8)= 0.86sec.
b. Thrown up at initial speed of 2.8m/s
-3.6=2.8t-4.9t2
Using online calculator,http://www.math.com/students/calculators/source/quadratic.htm
and taking the positive root.
t=1.2sec

Time after 1st. ball thrown= 1.2-0.86= 0.34sec.

1. What is the definition of kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that caused the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

2. What are the three basic equations of kinematics?

The three basic equations of kinematics are the displacement equation (Δx = xf - xi), the velocity equation (v = vi + at), and the acceleration equation (vf = vi + at).

3. How do you calculate displacement using kinematics?

To calculate displacement, you can use the equation Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the change in position, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

4. How is velocity related to displacement and time in kinematics?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. It is calculated using the equation v = Δx/Δt, where Δx is displacement and Δt is time.

5. Can kinematics be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, the motion of an object is along a straight line, while in rotational motion, the motion is around an axis of rotation. The basic equations of kinematics can be modified to apply to both types of motion.