Can You Recover a Forgotten Win10 Password Without Resetting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    windows
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 1K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
TL;DR
Forgotten password, unable to log in in Windows10.
Hi All,
A friend has forgotten her password and is unable to log in. Just clarifying, I have knoen her for long and I am sure it is her PC, on which I have worked a few times, so it is not a rando who may have stolen a PC. Is it possible to login without resetting to factory condition?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an administrator account on this PC? Does she have a Microsoft account she can log into?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy and WWGD
It's a stand alone PC. I will have to check those details. Thanks.
 
There are also many third party programs available, some free for home use.

At least some of them turn off the password requirement rather than change it. This may or may not trigger the Microsoft function of killing some files/information. Suggest you investigate that MS 'feature' before running anything.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=password+recovery+tool+windows+10+free+download

Cheers,
Tom