Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you rescue an animal in need?

1. May 21, 2013 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Lola was not the easiest addition to our home, but much easier than Duke. Duke had been abandoned and imprisoned in a shelter for about 5 months. He was clingy and emotional when my wife or I left, even for a short time. Lola has been with us for a few short days, and Duke has "adopted" her, teaching her useful stuff. She used to shadow me relentlessly, but now she has transferred much of that attention to Duke.

If you have the space, resources, and patience to help an abandoned animal, (s)he will reward you with love and attention. Spay/neuter your pets and give them a loving home, and please rescue an animal instead of buying one at a pet store. Puppy mills are an abomination, so please help to wipe them out. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

It has been a few days, and Lola is here to stay. Duke was always a momma's boy and it seems like Lola might be a daddy's girl. What a sweetie.

If you would like to have a pet, please network with friends to see if there is an animal who needs to be given a good home or go to your local animal shelter and adopt a stray. Remember that elderly or ill animals are barely adoptable at best, and you can help.

4. May 24, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

That's great, Turbo!

You aren't allergic to the new pet?

5. May 24, 2013 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Lola had to have a few baths to cut down the fragrances from previous baths/shampoos, but she didn't mind. This morning, my wife jumped into the shower before heading out to do some chores, and Lola hopped in too.

P1000812_zpsfdcd5f93.jpg

6. May 24, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Nice pic for a nice dog.

7. May 24, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Thank you. She is not a big dog (mix of English bulldog and boxer), but she is tougher than a bag of hammers. I'll have to train her how to walk properly (heel), because she is so strong that walking her on a leash is a challenge. My right hand is still sprained and it is hard to keep her under control.

8. May 24, 2013 #7
    I've found a plastic prong collar works well to keep my dog from pulling too hard on the leash. I often have to remind her with a little jerk but once she's reminded she behaves pretty well.

9. May 24, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

A harness may also work. We have a Rottweiler that pulls a lot even with a prong collar, but once we started using the harness he pulls a lot less. The harness goes around his chest and forelegs and perhaps the secure ness of it that keeps him calm and reminds him of the owners presence.

10. May 24, 2013 #9

Evo

My rescue dogs.

The first is ChaCha, a senior, specials needs chihuahua that was abandoned. The second is a crazed partying Chin pup.

Attached Files:

11. May 24, 2013 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Good ol' ChaCha

12. May 24, 2013 #11

Evo

Her wedding gown

Attached Files:

13. May 24, 2013 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Poor Chacha!

14. May 24, 2013 #13

Evo

She was a glowing bride-to-be. Alas, micro left her standing at the altar. She still softly croons his name as she lays in her bed, languishing. miiicro, miiiicrooo.

15. May 24, 2013 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

But evo...this is so sudden. And I already have a family.

16. May 24, 2013 #15

jedishrfu

Aha, that explains Micro's absence from our forums and checking in to the forum from seedy Motel 6's from time to time.

He's a groom on the run from ChaCha.

17. May 24, 2013 #16

Evo

Man up! Marry that girl!!

Scandalous.

18. May 24, 2013 #17

turbo

Gold Member

To get back on-topic: if any PF members want a pet, please, please adopt.

Shelters are full of nice animals, even if some of them need TLC to get back to "normal". Duke was a hard case, since he had been abandoned (and we never had a clue when) and the animal control officer called him a pit bull, which is practically a death penalty for shelter dogs. He had spent about 5 months in the shelter before my wife and I adopted him, and though he fit right in here, he was pretty traumatized by his months in solitary. He is now helping to train and socialize Lola, and will even give up one of his comfy beds if she wants it.

Please adopt a pet instead of buying one. You'll be doing all of us a favor. Let's cut off the puppy-mill/pet store links ASAP. Thank you.

19. May 25, 2013 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yea. You can see that from the picture. Tight skin holding those muscles in.

20. May 27, 2013 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Lola loves taking baths! If you want to take a shower alone, you have to latch the bathroom door because she will hop right into the tub enclosure with you.

Earlier today, a neighbor brought down her chocolate Lab "Moose". He and Lola wrestled, with lots of play-biting. She is about half his size, but she generally got the upper hand and eventually wore him out. When he grows up, he will remember his Sensei.

21. May 28, 2013 #20

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She a "water lover". Sounds like the Black Lab I had. It was almost impossible to fish; especially after he had a couple beers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook