Can you tell me where and why am I going wrong?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanton
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
stanton
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



200911232254246339461366416287507321.jpg


Homework Equations



I will explain this in below

The Attempt at a Solution



T2 + T1 sin 50 = 10 I first balanced vertical forces
T1 cos 50 = F And then I balanced the horizontal forces
.15 T2 +.075 F = .15 T1 sin 50 And balancing torques...
.15 (10 - .766 T1) + .075 * .643 * T1 = .15 * .766 T1 I substituted this into torque equation
T1 = 8.26 N
T2 = 3.67 N
F = 5.31 N
Check: 3.67 + 8.26 * .766 = 10
But they are very different from the real answer. What is wrong? And how can T1 be 11.2 N?
T2 would have to be directed downwards to balance the 10N weight of the picture, I think.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
While taking clockwise torque, you have taken torque due to T2 and F. There is one more contribution to this torque. That is due to T1*cos50.