Calculate force required to tip beam on a rope w/ friction

In summary, the problem involves determining the least value of the force P that will cause a uniform I-beam to tip from its horizontal position, given its mass per meter of length, coefficient of friction between the rope and drum, and the angle of the rope on the drum. The solution involves creating a free body diagram for both the beam and the drum, using the moment equation to solve for T1 and T2, and then using the T1/T2 equation to solve for P. A possible calculation error was identified, leading to an incorrect answer at first, but the correct answer was eventually obtained by correcting the algebra.
bkw2694

Homework Statement

The uniform I-beam has a mass of 74 kg per meter of length and is supported by the rope over the fixed 300-mm drum. If the coefficient of friction between the rope and drum is 0.50, calculate the least value of the force P which will cause the beam to tip from its horizontal position.

2rxtjpj.jpg

Homework Equations

T1/T2 = e^(βμ)

Where β = the angle of the rope on the drum, μ = 0.50, T1 = the bigger tension, and T2 = the smaller tension

The Attempt at a Solution

So to start off, I added the lengths up to see that the beam is 1.8 m long, I then used that to determine the weight = 1.8*74*9.81 = 1306.7 N. Also the rope on the drum suggests the angle β = π rads and μ is known to be 0.50.

I began by making my FBD, which I believe is probably where I've made my mistake. I broke it into two separate FBD, one with just the beam and one with just the drum.

FBD of beam

The FBD of the beam I saw 4 forces acting on it. the weight (1306.7 N) acting downward in the middle of the beam, the force P acting downward (as indicated in the problem), and the two ropes which I called tension 1 (left rope) and tension 2 (right rope) both with forces acting upward due to them being tension ropes (therefore they cannot be downward, I believe).

I used the moment equation ∑M = 0 at T1 and T2.

∑M =0 at T2 gives me: (-.75)(-P) + (.15)(-1306.7) + (.3)(T1) ⇒⇒ T1 = (1.05P + 196)/0.3

∑M =0 at T1 gives me: (-1.05)(-P) + (-.15)(-1306.7) + (-.3)(T1) ⇒⇒ T2 = (-.75P + 196)/0.3

FBD of drum

For this FBD I just had T1 going downward (due to the tipping) and T2 going upward. I used the T1/T2 equation to have (1.05P+196)/(-.75+196) = e^(.5π), which gave me P = 244.5 N.

This is incorrect, as the book says the answer should be P = 160.3 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
bkw2694 said:
∑M =0 at T2 gives me: (-.75)(-P) + (.15)(-1306.7) + (.3)(T1) ⇒⇒ T1 = (1.05P + 196)/0.3
Are you mixing up T1 and T2 somewhere? Isn't P 1.05m from T2?

Likes bkw2694
haruspex said:
Are you mixing up T1 and T2 somewhere? Isn't P 1.05m from T2?

Ah, sorry, I mistyped what I had written down, so it should have been:

∑M =0 at T2 gives me: (-1.05)(-P) + (-.15)(-1306.7) + (-.3)(T1) ⇒⇒ T1 = (1.05P + 196)/0.3

∑M =0 at T1 gives me: (-.75)(-P) + (.15)(-1306.7) + (.3)(T2) ⇒⇒ T2 = (-.75P + 196)/0.3

But I think the T1 and T2 values I got from that are correct (or at least correct based on my incorrect assumptions)

bkw2694 said:
I used the T1/T2 equation to have (1.05P+196)/(-.75+196) = e^(.5π), which gave me P = 244.5 N.

You left out a factor of P in the denominator. Maybe just a typo. Otherwise, I think your equation gives the correct answer.

Likes bkw2694
TSny said:
You left out a factor of P in the denominator. Maybe just a typo. Otherwise, I think your equation gives the correct answer.

Yeah, sorry, that's another typo. I had the -.75P in the equation while working it out, and I got P =244.5. Unless I'm messing up algebraically, but I don't think I did.

I thought it was probably just a typo. But when I solve your equation, I get the correct answer!

Likes bkw2694
Actually, according to wolframalpha I spoke too soon, I must be making an algebra error, because wolfram says the answer is 160.

I guess I had the correct method, I'm just screwing up the algebra part lol.

Thanks you guys!

TSny said:
I think it's not just a typo in the post. Reinstating the P leads to the book answer.

1. What factors affect the force required to tip a beam on a rope with friction?

The force required to tip a beam on a rope with friction is affected by several factors including the weight of the beam, the angle of the rope, the coefficient of friction, and the length of the beam.

2. How can I calculate the force required to tip a beam on a rope with friction?

To calculate the force required, you will need to use the formula F = (W x L) / sinθ + μ x (W x L x cosθ). W represents the weight of the beam, L is the length of the beam, θ is the angle of the rope, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the force required?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It affects the force required to tip a beam on a rope because the higher the coefficient of friction, the stronger the force needed to overcome the friction and tip the beam.

4. What is the maximum angle that the rope can be at before the beam will tip?

The maximum angle that the rope can be at before the beam will tip depends on the weight of the beam, the coefficient of friction, and the length of the beam. To calculate the maximum angle, you can use the formula θ = tan-1 (μ x L).

5. How can I reduce the force required to tip a beam on a rope with friction?

There are a few ways to reduce the force required to tip a beam on a rope with friction. One way is to decrease the weight of the beam. Additionally, you can increase the length of the beam or decrease the angle of the rope. You can also use a lubricant on the surfaces to decrease the coefficient of friction.