1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you verify my Physics work please?

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    I am preparing for a physics test and i want to make sure what and how I am solving the review questions is correct because I have no answer key!Thank you in advance!

2-You are driving in your car at a steady 80.0km/h. and you suddenly see a stop sign. You apply your breakes and stop after 60.0m(or 0.06km).

a)How long did it take you to stop?
    What I did was find Vavg=0.5(80.0km/h + 0.0km/h) then using it in the equation of delta d=Vavg.*delta t and getting an answer of 0.0015h.

b)What was your acceleration?
    What I did was using the formula V2^2=V1^2+2a(delta d) and I solved to get a= (to appropriate sig fig) -53300km/h^2

3-During the span of 5.0s time interval an object begins at 5.0m/s, accelerates uniformly and ends at 20.0m/s.

a) What is the average speed of the obect in this 5 s interval?
    What I did Vavg=0.5(20.0m/s + 5.0m/s)=12.5m/s

b)What is the acceleration?
    What I did v2=v1+2a(t)
    20.0m/s=5.0m/s+2a(5.0s)
    a= 3.0m/s^2

Thank you again!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would choose a different formula for 2b (you already know the velocity difference and the time), but that one is possible as well.
    m/s and m/s^2 would be more conventional units for the answers. I did not check the numbers, a computer can do this quicker.

3 is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook