Equations for Accelerated Motion (Two problems)

In summary, a sailboat in a race is moving at 2.5 m/s when it crosses the starting line. It begins to accelerate at 1.1 m/s^2. It takes the sailboat 80m past the starting line to reach its final velocity of 13.5 m/s.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A sailboat in a race is moving at 2.5 m/s when it crosses the starting line. It begins to accelerate at 1.1 m/s^2. How long does is take to travel 80m past the starting line?

Homework Equations

vavg=(vfinal+vinitial)/2
t=x/vavg
v^2=vinital+2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I listed all the data I know, stated directly or indirectly in the passage:
a=1.1 m/s
x=80m
vinital=2.5 m/s

Then I used this formula to find the final velocity:
v^2=vinital+2aΔx
v^2=2.5^2 m/s(1.1 m/s^2)*80 m
v^2=2.5^2 m/s (2.2 m/s^2)*80 m
v^2=182.25 m^2/s^2
v=13.5 m/s

Next I found the average velocity:
vavg=(vinital+vfinal)/2
vavg=(2.5+13.5)/2
vavg=8

Finally I found the time:

t=x/vavg
t= 80m/8 m/s
t=8s

Could someone please confirm(or deny) that the time is 8s? I'm somewhat new to the physics world and like to use every resource possible to keep up my GPA. Thank you in advance!

Homework Statement

Many modern cars are designed so hat the front and the back of the car will collapse before the passenger compartment collapses. This allows the front and back of the car to absorb the impact from a collision while making injury to the passenger less likely or less severe. Supposse a car is traveling at 40 mi/h when the driver runs off the roaf and strikes a large tree. The front of the car collapses and the driver comes to a stop ovet a distance of 0.75 m. Find the acceleration of the driver in m/s^2. Also, convert your answer to g's, where 1g=9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

v^2+2aΔx

I started by listing known information:
vinital=40 mi/h
vfinal=0
x=0.75 m
1g=9.8m/s^2

Then I plugged the information into my equation:
v^2=v0^2+2aΔx
0=1600+2a(0.75)
0=400=2a(0.74)
0=400+2a(0.75)
0+533.3{repating 3}(0.75)
a=533.3m/s^2

Then, converting to gs:

a=533.3m/s^2/9.8m/s^2
a=54.42g

Again, would someone please confirm or deny this? :smile:

For whatever reason I am not so sure of this answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:
v^2=vinital+2aΔx
You mean vfinal = vinitial + aΔt
There are five standard variables in five standard constant acceleration formulae. Each formula relates four of the five. It's worth memorising them. When you need to use one, check which four of the variables your are interested in and select the corresponding equation. In this case you have s, vi and a, and you want to find t. The equation for that is s = vit + at2/2.

Thank you! I haven't gotten more than a few chapters into physics yet, so I stuck to the formula that my teacher gave. I see how the first formula you gave equals mine. I'm not sure why my teacher gave me the one he did, it seems easier to use yours. Thanks for the tip! Did I give the incorrect answer?

Medgirl314 said:
Thank you! I haven't gotten more than a few chapters into physics yet, so I stuck to the formula that my teacher gave. I see how the first formula you gave equals mine.
I just realized the formula you meant was vf2 = vi2+2as ( s being the same as your Δx). You had left out the square on the right. Sorry for the confusion. So your method was ok, but not the quickest.
I'm not sure why my teacher gave me the one he did, it seems easier to use yours. Thanks for the tip! Did I give the incorrect answer?
Almost, but you made a mistake at the final step. Don't kick yourself too hard.

Thanks! Confusion is fine. Confusion seems to be the first thing that leads to great science. :-)Is the answer closer to 40.82? I must have divided instead of muliplied.

What about the first problem? Is that one correct?

Thanks again!

I really hate how I can't edit the title. The missing "d" is driving me insane.

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks! Confusion is fine. Confusion seems to be the first thing that leads to great science. :-)

Is the answer closer to 40.82? I must have divided instead of muliplied.

What about the first problem? Is that one correct?

Thanks again!
ah - more confusion. All my replies were in response to your first question. Your answer is not quite right. You went wrong here:
t= 80m/8 m/s
t=8s​
It is better not to post two questions in one thread, for various reasons, unless one is a continuation of the other. I'll take a look at the second question when I can.

Oh! That's embarrasing. xD Basic arithmetic. 10s. Thanks! My teacher would have had a laugh at that one.

That's a good idea. I didn't want to be annoying by posting twenty threads in a row, but I supposse that's better than being confusing.

Medgirl314 said:
I really hate how I can't edit the title. The missing "d" is driving me insane.
Ask and ye shall receive. Fixed :smile:

Haha, thanks, gneill!

Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

Many modern cars are designed so hat the front and the back of the car will collapse before the passenger compartment collapses. This allows the front and back of the car to absorb the impact from a collision while making injury to the passenger less likely or less severe. Supposse a car is traveling at 40 mi/h when the driver runs off the roaf and strikes a large tree. The front of the car collapses and the driver comes to a stop ovet a distance of 0.75 m. Find the acceleration of the driver in m/s^2. Also, convert your answer to g's, where 1g=9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

v^2+2aΔx

I started by listing known information:
vinital=40 mi/h
vfinal=0
x=0.75 m
1g=9.8m/s^2

Then I plugged the information into my equation:
v^2=v0^2+2aΔx
0=1600+2a(0.75)
Is the speed really given in mph? If so you'll need to convert first.
Did you mean =0+1600+2a(0.75)?
0=400=2a(0.74)
How did the 1600 become 400? I assume the .74 is a typo.

Yes, the .74 is a typo. Thanks for pointing that out! I accidentally divided by two, twice. It should be 0=800+a(0.75)

Multiplying by 75: a=600
After dividing to convert to gs: a≈61.22

Is that better?

Medgirl314 said:
It should be 0=800+a(0.75)

Multiplying by 75: a=600
Think that step through again.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

1. I forgot to do a unit conversion to convert mi/h to m/s.
2. If I had done the right steps thus far, I would have needed to subtract(?) 0.75, not multiply by 75.
3. Trying again:

Doing a unit conversion to m/s yields approximately 17.9(I rounded)
Then I take my formula: v^2=vi+2aΔx
Plugging in what I know: 0=17.9^2+2a(0.75)
Simplifying: 0=320.41+2a(0.75)
Subtracting 0.75: 0=319.66+2a
Dividing by 2: a=159.83 m/s

Is that right? Or should I have divided by 0.75?

Thanks again for being so helpful!

Oh, converting to gs: 16.3 gs.

Medgirl314 said:
Or should I have divided by 0.75?
That would have been better.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! Trying one more time:
DIVIDING by 0.75: 0=427.22+2a
Dividing by 2: a=213.61
Dividing by 9.8 to convert to gs: 21.8 gs.

Is that correct?

Thank you again!

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks! Trying one more time:
DIVIDING by 0.75: 0=427.22+2a
Dividing by 2: a=213.61
Dividing by 9.8 to convert to gs: 21.8 gs.

Is that correct?

Thank you again!
Looks good.

Likes 1 person
Wonderful! Thank you!

1. What is an equation for accelerated motion?

An equation for accelerated motion is a mathematical representation that shows the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It is a way to describe how an object's motion changes over time.

2. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction. Acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. While velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, acceleration tells us how quickly the object is speeding up or slowing down.

3. How are equations for accelerated motion used in real life?

Equations for accelerated motion are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of vehicles, bridges, and roller coasters. They are also used in sports to analyze an athlete's performance, and in physics experiments to study the effects of forces on objects in motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula is known as the average acceleration formula and can be used to calculate the average acceleration of an object over a certain period of time.

5. What is a common example of an equation for accelerated motion?

One common example of an equation for accelerated motion is the distance-time equation, which is d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2. This equation shows the relationship between an object's initial velocity, acceleration, and total distance traveled over a certain period of time. It is often used to calculate the distance an object will travel when given its initial velocity and acceleration.