Candles burning at different rates

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
Which can be written as##14 A - 40 = 7 A - 28## or ##A=4##.The longer candle is 4 inches long and the shorter one is 4-4=0 inches long.
Natasha1
Homework Statement
Candles burning at different rates
Relevant Equations
See my answer sheet attached
Please see photos attached for problem and my answers.

Can someone just check my work and tell me if the candle heights I get are correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 22.19.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 22.19.05.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Answers.pdf
    352.6 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org
Let "x" be the length of the shorter candle in inches. The longer candle is x+ 4 inches long. Let y be the distance the shorter candle was reduced by in the two hours from 7:30 to 9:30 (at a rate of y/2 inches per hour). The longer candle was reduced by y+4 inches in the three and a half hours from 6:00 to 9:30 (at a rate of (y+4)/3.5 inches per hour).

The longer candle burned out at 11:00, 5 hours after being lit. Since it was shortening at the rate of (y+4)/3.5 inches per hour, we have x+ 4= ((y+4)/3.5)(5)= 10(y+4)/7.

The shorter candle burned out at 11:30, 4 hours after being lit. Since it was shortening at the rate of y/2 inches per hour, we have x= (y/2)(4)= 2y.

Solve the equations x+ 4= 10(y+4)/7 and x= 2y for x and y. The value of x is the answer to this question.

Natasha1 said:
Problem Statement: Candles burning at different rates
Relevant Equations: See my answer sheet attached

Please see photos attached for problem and my answers.

Can someone just check my work and tell me if the candle heights I get are correct?
Problem statement:
screenshot-2019-06-24-at-22-19-05-png.png

Last portion of your solution:

Your solution is correct.

Likes Natasha1
Alternate method. Let length of longer candle be A and shorter A-4. The longer candle burns at a rate of ##r_1## percent per hour and the shorter at ##r_2## percent per hour. Longer candle burns out in 5 hours and the shorter one in 4 hours.

##A(1-5\times \frac{r_1}{100})=0## and ##(A-4)(1-4\times \frac{r_2}{100})=0##.

From which ##r_1## and ##r_2## can easily be determined. Then solve for A:

##A(1-3,5\times \frac{r_1}{100})=(A-4)(1-2\times \frac{r_2}{100}) ##

Last edited:

1. Why do candles burn at different rates?

There are several factors that can affect the burning rate of a candle, including the type and quality of the wax, the size and shape of the wick, and the presence of drafts or air flow. Additionally, the amount of fragrance or additives in the wax can also impact the burning rate.

2. Does the color of the candle affect its burning rate?

Yes, the color of a candle can impact its burning rate. Darker colored candles tend to absorb more heat and burn faster, while lighter colored candles reflect heat and burn slower. However, the type and quality of the wax and wick are still the primary factors in determining burning rate.

3. Can the environment affect the burning rate of a candle?

Yes, the environment can have a significant impact on the burning rate of a candle. Drafts or air flow can cause the flame to flicker and burn unevenly, leading to a faster or slower burning rate. Changes in temperature can also affect the melting point of the wax and alter the burning rate.

4. How can I make a candle burn slower?

To make a candle burn slower, you can try trimming the wick to 1/4 inch before each use. This will help control the size of the flame and prevent the candle from burning too quickly. You can also try placing the candle in a draft-free area and avoiding extreme temperatures.

5. Is there a difference in burning rate between scented and unscented candles?

Yes, scented candles tend to burn faster than unscented candles. This is because the added fragrance oils can affect the composition of the wax, making it burn at a faster rate. Additionally, the amount of fragrance in the candle can also impact the burning rate.