Cannot make job/gradschool decision

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary: My point is, I could very easily take the job offer and then go back to school in the fall.In summary, the biggest risk in taking a year off of school is losing your momentum and never going go grad school. However, you can still go back to school in the fall if you take the job offer.
Tony11235
Hi I'm a computer science student graduating this semester. As of now I don't mind taking programming related jobs or IT related jobs, but I want to eventually be a language analyst/translator/interpreter as well in Chinese. I've had a few years of Chinese and lived in Beijing for a few months. I'm planning on applying to a grad school for chinese language, but then I have a job offer at an IT company in Beijing (btw the pay is great for a graduate with just a BS in Beijing, poor for american standards). As of now I am not sure whether to just go and work there for a year or so, and then come back for grad school, or to go straight to grad school assuming I get accepted somewhere, and work over the summer. I am not sure whether I should depend on living in China for sometime to make improvements in my chinese fluency or rely on the grad school work to improve it more. Or should I just not even pursue this? and just work? I can't decide. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The biggest risk in taking a year off of school is losing your momentum and never going go grad school. Once you start to establish a life in Beijing (job, friends, girlfriend, income, stuff you love), are you sure you'll be able to leave it all behind and go to grad school?

Of course, you know yourself better than we do regarding whether you're likely to give into the temptation to remain in Beijing once you spend a year there getting established.

Someone once told me if you truly want to go to graduate school, better to do it right after undergrad because once you enter the working world, you could end up being addicted to your salary and find it difficult to give it up to go back to study later down the road. And this becomes even more important if you start raising a family.

On the other hand, you don't have a school offer yet, but you have a job offer. You can't do grad school now if you haven't been accepted by any school.

I don't think I would have any kind of urge to stay in Beijing. If I would choose to go to Beijing, it would be with a purpose: the language side of it, from which you unconsciously benefit from. The job side of it, for me, is just my way of getting there, although it benefits my resume.

makethings said:
Someone once told me if you truly want to go to graduate school, better to do it right after undergrad because once you enter the working world, you could end up being addicted to your salary and find it difficult to give it up to go back to study later down the road. And this becomes even more important if you start raising a family.

On the other hand, you don't have a school offer yet, but you have a job offer. You can't do grad school now if you haven't been accepted by any school.

Actually I was told specifically BY the school I applied to that they are accepting late applications for the fall. But, that's the not the point.

1. What factors should I consider when making a decision about a job or graduate school?

When making a decision about a job or graduate school, it is important to consider factors such as your interests, skills, career goals, financial situation, and personal circumstances. You should also research the opportunities and requirements for both options to determine which aligns better with your long-term goals and values.

2. How do I weigh the pros and cons of a job versus graduate school?

To weigh the pros and cons of a job versus graduate school, you can create a list of the potential benefits and challenges of each option. Consider factors such as the level of education and experience required, potential salary and job opportunities, and the time and financial investment. You can also speak with professionals in your field and seek advice from mentors or career counselors.

3. What are the potential benefits of choosing graduate school over a job?

Choosing graduate school over a job can provide you with a higher level of education and specialized skills, which can lead to better job opportunities and potentially higher salaries in the long run. It can also give you the opportunity to network with professionals in your field and gain valuable research or hands-on experience.

4. What are the potential benefits of choosing a job over graduate school?

Choosing a job over graduate school can provide you with immediate financial stability and the opportunity to gain real-world experience. It can also allow you to explore different industries and roles, and help you determine if graduate school is necessary for your career goals.

5. How do I make a decision if I am torn between a job and graduate school?

If you are torn between a job and graduate school, it can be helpful to speak with individuals who have experience in both areas, such as professors, alumni, or professionals in your field. Additionally, consider your long-term goals and values, and weigh the potential benefits and challenges of each option. Ultimately, trust your instincts and make a decision that aligns with your personal and professional aspirations.