1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics

1. Feb 9, 2007 #1
    I've been curious as to why Bose-Einstein statistics are always derived using the grand canonical partition function. Yes, I know it is easier, but there must also be an expression for the canonical ensemble. However, I was suprised that I have been unable to find it in the standard sources - so here is my own (troubled) derivation.

I start with the grand canonical partition function:

[tex]\sum^{0,1,..,M}_{\{n_k\}} \prod^{\infinty}_{k=1} e^{-\beta\left(\epsilon_k - \mu\right) n_k[/tex]

where M is 1 for FD and M is infinity for BE stats.

I now impose the constraint of [tex]N=\sum_k n_k[/tex] and wind up with:

[tex]\lambda^{N} \prod_{k=1}^{\infinty} \left(1 - e^{-\beta \epsilon_k} \right)^{\pm} = Z_{BE}^{FD}[/tex]

why didn't the chemical potential go away? I was expecting to get the same expression, but without any lambda term out in front.

Any ideas? Anyone at least KNOW what the canonical expression IS (so that I can compare my answer)?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2
    everyone and his brother seem to be researching BE condensates these days, and yet no one is the least bit curious about this???

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

don't understand your notation
    [tex](1-e^x)^{\pm}[/tex]?
    what is to the power of +/-? as you know, you get either (1-e^x) or (1+e^x)

5. Feb 11, 2007 #4
    no...it means you get "a" or "1/a"...

this is the standard way of writing Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics as combined in one expression, the notation isn't mine...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?