1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical transformation between two given hamiltonians

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, I am given the inital hamiltonian H = (1/2)*(px2x4 - 2iypy + 1/x2) and the transformed hamiltonian K = (1/2)*(Px2 + Py2 + X2 + Y2) and I'm supposed to show there exists a canonical transformation that transforms H to K and find it. I don't know how to solve problems of this sort. I can find the canonical transformation given the generating function so I started with the equation K = H + ∂F/∂t where F is the generating function of the second kind and replaced the X, Y from K with ∂F/∂Px, ∂F/∂Py and the px, py from H with ∂F/∂x, ∂F/∂y to get a partial differential equation for the function F(x, y, Px, Py, t). Assuming a separable solution I solve the equation and obtain a generating function F but it's impossible to get transformation equations from this F because the solution is separable. Also I can't make sense of the constants of integrations in this situation.

How does one deal with these kind of problems?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2
    No answers? I thought finding a CT between two given hamiltonians would be a standard problem that I just didn't know how to solve.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

csco, The problem is, it sounds like homework. Assure us it is not and you may get some answers.

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4
    Bill: it isn't homework. I found this problem while studying and it made me rethink about a few things in hamiltonian mechanics. I only wanted to know of a general method to solve problems of this sort since I had never seen them before that's why the question on how to deal with them. I gave details on the problem simply because what seemed to me the most obvious method to obtain a solution didn't give me a solution that made sense and I was wondering if there was a reason for this.
    I solved that specific problem already but my method to find a CT between H and K is solving the Hamilton-Jacobi equation twice to do H -> 0 -> K which is rather lengthy. So my question is still the same, how does one deal with the problem of finding a CT given H and K?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook