1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical transformation for Harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Find under what conditions the transformation from (x,p) to (Q,P) is canonical when the transformation equations are:
    Q = ap/x , P=bx2
    And apply the transformation to the harmonic oscillator.
    I did the first part and found a = -1/2b
    I am unsure about the next part tho:
    We have the hamiltonian in (x,p):
    H = 1/2m(p2+(m[itex]\omega[/itex]x)2 , [itex]\omega[/itex]2=k/m
    So transforming to (Q,P) whilst setting am=-1 you get the nice equation:
    H = P(Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2)
    Should I now use hamiltons equation in the new coordinate basis, i.e.;
    dH/dP = Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2 = dQ/dt
    dH/dQ = 2QP = -dP/dt
    And solve these differential equations for Q,P and transform back? I think so but these equations are just not very easu. I mean the second one is easy to do by means of substitution but really the first one is just a mess. What is the smartest way to do this? I can't really get the first one solved.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2b}[/itex], or [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2}b[/itex]? Brackets are important! :wink:

Again, brackets are needed if you meant [itex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left(p^2+(m\omega x)^2\right)[/itex]

(1) Why are you setting am=-1?
    (2) You don't get that when you set am=-1

Without setting am=-1, you should get [itex]H=-\frac{1}{4m}PQ^2 -am\omega^2P[/itex]

The second DE is only easy to solve once you know Q. The first one is seperable, so al that is needed is some striaghtforward integration... try a trig substitution if you are stuck on the integration part

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook