Can't decide between physics and chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between a major in chemistry or physics based on job prospects and personal interests. The speaker shares their own experience with the Honors Specialization in Physics program at the University of Western Ontario and suggests that physics may be a better choice for someone interested in the "why" behind physical phenomena. They also mention the possibility of supplementing a chemistry degree with a minor in physical chemistry. The speaker also mentions the benefits of real research experience and the high demand for physics graduates in the job market. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider engineering as well.
tripsky
So I just finished 1st year undergrad at the University of Western Ontario and I've come to really appreciate the science of chemistry and physics. more so than before.

now I'm at a dilemma. I definitely don't want to double major in both as i feel i'd spread my self to thin and only become decent at best in both rather than specializing in one and becoming competent in that. (i may possibly minor in the one that i am not specializing in)

I came to uni thinking i'd be a chem major because i hear/read that it is the "central science" and that prospects in career/academia were good because of that. Heck, i also liked it and did well in it in high school.

But...after reading some blogs/forums/sites with statistics...it is being said that this is not the case..that in fact, a major in chem doesn't really have great prospects in the future and that physics has better job prospects due to its math intensive nature. (not sure about academia prospects for physics)
Well, most of these stats are from USA...I live in Canada so I'm just assuming the same holds true in Canada (could anyone in Canada confirm this?)

Anyway, the parts of chemistry i liked most were the math components/physical chemistry. Although, probably because it was first year gen. chem, i'd always be left with asking "why?" a lot. It was in my physics textbook that I found the answer to some of these why's (like quantum mechanics)

Then again, it's probably to early for me to say i like physical chemistry after first year (i've yet to take the infamous p-chem in upper years that make people supposedly cry)
but, if my interests lie in physical chemistry...would it better to approach it from studying Physics or Chemistry?(and possibly a minor in the one I am not specializing in?)
Another thing, I do like calculus and other maths. i am pretty decent at it, definitely above average, but nothing amazing. If i do physics, would these decent math skills be enough?

and if it helps you in your response... I'm not sure if i want to stay in academia or get a job in the future. I feel that it is too early for me to say (just finished 1st year undergrad after all)

Well i apologize if any of the above is incoherent i am reeeeally tired today. I'd really appreciate any advice/stories/etc. Thanks for reading through this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey cool, someone else from UWO :D

I'm in the Honors Specialization in Physics with a Minor in Advanced Physics program so from the Physics point of view I know you would definitely enjoy the Physics program at Western. The profs are great, the people are great, the courses are amazing (so far anyway, I'm going into my 3rd year). If you want any specifics about the program at Western feel free to ask me.

As for your Physical Chemistry interests; honestly you aren't going to learn much chemistry in the physics program. There are some things you may learn in Quantum, Physics of Materials, Nanomaterials, and anything else material based that MIGHT cross over to something in physical chemistry. But if your heart is set on Physical Chemsitry then you're better off staying in Chemistry and supplementing your degree with the minor in Physical, Theoretical, and Analytical Chemistry.

If you're REALLY interested in the WHY questions behind physical phenomena then Physics is definitely for you.

As for the math side of things, if you succeeded in first year math courses (calculus and linear algebra if you took it) then you'll be fine with some of the upper year calculus courses. I got 89 in Calc 1000 and 84 in Calc 1301 but managed to get 84 in Calc 2502 and 91 in Calc 2503, which is the advanced multivariable calc classes required in all Physics modules.

If you're worried about grasping the material there are LOTS of people who would be glad to help you (me included). I know all of the council members on PASA (Physics and Astro Student Association), and I myself am heavily involved (unofficially) with operations. In a recent metting with the PASA president we discussed setting up help sessions for the younger students for topics they may be struggling with.

Another benefit with the physics program is that there's lots of opportunity to get real research experience, which will give you insight into the world of academia and full-time research (I'm currently working full time for Prof de Bruyn in his lab). Physics graduates are highly sought after due to our massive basket of tools we learn to approach problems and find solutions. Some statistics were presented during our seminar series that shows that (at least at UWO) physics students were most successful in finding a job after graduation.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

PHYSICS! definitely

My academic experience: I started as a chemistry major, fell in love with p-chem, and ended up switching to physics.

My work experience: it was very difficult to find physics jobs (I just have a BS) so most of my career has been more towards chemistry. But you're right about the current job market, it looks pretty dismal for chemistry majors now, from my perspective.

Might you consider engineering? It's close to physics but much more marketable.

I'm pretty sure most people of this forum will tell you to go towards physics which is also what I'm going to do.
The reason is simple: physics is more challenging in general. It's like if you want to be an applied mathematician or statistician, the best way to train your mind as an undergrad is still to do pure math. I'm a math and physics double major and haven't touched chem since I entered college. But now if you ask me to transfer to theoretical chem, I'm pretty sure that I can turn out better than a lot of the chemistry majors. So settle down for physics as an undergrad and make your decision about grad school three years later.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@Clever-Name: Awesome another UWO'er! what luck that I've encountered you here :D! Firstly I am glad to hear you did pretty well in 2502/2503 having taken 1301 in first year because lately I've been regretting not taking 1501 (didnt think i'd need it considering how i felt i thought i'd be doing chemistry) I was wondering, compared to 1301, how much more intensive are 2502/2503? Personally I found 1301 decent and fair(kept up with the course work and got a good mark) so with that, how do you think i'd fair against 2502/2503?

Anyway as you mentioned... I am not sure if its physical chemistry I like or the mathematical nature of the subject...i'll still have to ponder about that. Although I am interested in the WHY of things...
Also I was wondering do you know any current people in the physics program doing a chem minor? and how many people roughly are in the physics program?

Now, about the profs! you say they are great and i hope you mean it because to be honest i wasn't really impressed with the first year profs (we alternated between 3 over the school year, the one i did like was Dr. Mahi Singh, but not so much the others) But this was with physics 1301. Which brings me to my next concern, did you take 1501 or 1301? and if not the latter, do you know anyone who has taken 1301 and are doing well in the program? Wish i could go back and take 1501, but as I've mentioned before I thought i'd be a chem major and took 1301 :S

Annnnd out of curiosity, what kind of things are you doing in de Bruyn's lab?

@Nobelium: haha care to elaborate :D?

@lisab: I did think about engineering but i am told that apparently engineering puts more emphasis on the application rather than theory. It is just a personal thing that I want to learn more "theory" who knows this might screw me over :S

Also, are you saying from what you noticed, the job market is worse for chem majors than phys majors?

@R.P.F: haha I'd understand that, given that this is a physics forum after all :p. But to be honest I couldn't find any chem forums with an advice section like this. Otherwise I'd post on a chem forum in addition to this and try to get opinions from both sides. But I think this forum is pretty good, seems to have its share of chem enthusiasts wandering around.
Now, you bring up grad school, which reminds me, is it possible to do an MSc in Engineering without an undergrad in Engineering? In the case of wanting to icnrease your marketability?

I really don't know about the difference in job markets now, for physics vs chemistry bachelor degrees. When I was fresh out of school there must have been 10 chemistry jobs for every physics job - it was easy to get your foot in the door with a chem degree. Now the chemistry jobs have disappeared, from what I observe.

^ Yes I wondered about that... I was told that there USED to be lots of great opportunities for chem majors but not so anymore... Any idea what happened? :S

tripsky said:
^ Yes I wondered about that... I was told that there USED to be lots of great opportunities for chem majors but not so anymore... Any idea what happened? :S

I think it was because so much chemical manufacturing went overseas.

tripsky said:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

@Clever-Name: Awesome another UWO'er! what luck that I've encountered you here :D! Firstly I am glad to hear you did pretty well in 2502/2503 having taken 1301 in first year because lately I've been regretting not taking 1501 (didnt think i'd need it considering how i felt i thought i'd be doing chemistry) I was wondering, compared to 1301, how much more intensive are 2502/2503? Personally I found 1301 decent and fair(kept up with the course work and got a good mark) so with that, how do you think i'd fair against 2502/2503?

If you were able to grasp the material in 1301 no problem then you'll be fine in 2502/3. The material is completely different in 2502 than from 1000/1301. You're expected to be an expert in integration and differentiation at that point and you end up doing more differential calculus and surfaces and finding tangent planes and etc. It's nothing like 'here is a rule for finding the integral of this sort of question'. You're expected to know all that already.

Anyway as you mentioned... I am not sure if its physical chemistry I like or the mathematical nature of the subject...i'll still have to ponder about that. Although I am interested in the WHY of things...
Also I was wondering do you know any current people in the physics program doing a chem minor? and how many people roughly are in the physics program?

No-one that I know of is taking a chem minor. The physics program is rather small (which is good, easier to get help and talk to your professors). In Physics 2102 I'd say there was about 75 people, in Physics 2110 there was no more than 30. After second year your courses tend to stay below the 30 person mark. Calculus and the other math courses had way more people (~150) since it's cross-department.

Now, about the profs! you say they are great and i hope you mean it because to be honest i wasn't really impressed with the first year profs (we alternated between 3 over the school year, the one i did like was Dr. Mahi Singh, but not so much the others) But this was with physics 1301. Which brings me to my next concern, did you take 1501 or 1301? and if not the latter, do you know anyone who has taken 1301 and are doing well in the program? Wish i could go back and take 1501, but as I've mentioned before I thought i'd be a chem major and took 1301 :S

I took the equivalent of 1301/1302 (it was a full year 1024 course in my year) and I did exceptionally well last year. Most people in the physics program tend to take 1501/2 but I found myself at no disadvantage in the second year courses, I doubt you'll feel that way either. As for the profs, I honestly had no problem with the 3 profs who taught 1024; but to each their own I guess. For the professors teaching the 2nd year courses next year I can assure you from my experience that they are good at their jobs, all very enthusiastic at teaching. Of course this is just my opinion, you may feel differently about one or two of the profs, but regardless, they aren't terrible at their jobs and I enjoyed every lecture.

Annnnd out of curiosity, what kind of things are you doing in de Bruyn's lab?

I'm working with a polymer gel solution trying to examine the gelation process of a PVA-PEG hydrogel. So I make a solution and examine it with a rheometer to measure it's viscoelastic properties; and I also embed nanoparticles in the solution and look at it under a high-speed microscope to track the brownian motion of the particles so I can map the microstructure of the solution. We basically already know that at a bulk scale the solution seems to gelate at a different time point than at a micro-scale. So we're looking at that process.

lisab said:
I think it was because so much chemical manufacturing went overseas.

I imagined that would effect chem e way more.
The reason I heard the chem market was so bad was because big pharma was hurting and not doing much R&D. FDA regulations have made it pretty expensive to develop new drugs.

I've been to Allergan and saw a LOT of empty hoods...

@lisab: i do remember reading something like that (in addition to manufacturing, research and development as well) but wasn't given the specifics as to where. would you happen to know what countries these are now?

@Clever-Name: it's as you say 1301 was not a big problem for me although I feel I'll forget some stuff over the summer... do you think this would be a problem? would you suggest I review my calc over the summer?

Anyway I'm glad to hear the program is small because, as you said, it would be advantageous for prof-student interaction. Also, just so I can get some perspective, would you say the 2nd year profs were more enthusiastic than 1st year? Also for some more perspective, i had 83 in physics 1301 and 88 in 1302, do you think i also wouldn't have much problem with 2nd year phys?

Also you mentioned physics students were most successful in finding a job. Do you happen to know what any graduates are doing ? (who either have possessing an BSc or MSc)

Thanks again guys!

flemmyd, i heard that as well. although that probably affects the field of organic chemistry the most correct... is the market situation similar in inorganic/phys/analytic?

tripsky said:
@Clever-Name: it's as you say 1301 was not a big problem for me although I feel I'll forget some stuff over the summer... do you think this would be a problem? would you suggest I review my calc over the summer?

It wouldn't hurt to review some of your integration techniques but honestly you can just re-learn it when the time comes. I forgot pretty much all of my first year calc knowledge but was able to refresh my memory by doing problems and listening in class. I had no problem when the time came on a midterm/final to integrate or differentiate something.

Anyway I'm glad to hear the program is small because, as you said, it would be advantageous for prof-student interaction. Also, just so I can get some perspective, would you say the 2nd year profs were more enthusiastic than 1st year? Also for some more perspective, i had 83 in physics 1301 and 88 in 1302, do you think i also wouldn't have much problem with 2nd year phys?

I think come second year the only people in your class are the ones who actually want to learn physics (except for a few in 2102/3 who are just there because medical biophysics is forcing them to, they just want to get it over with so they can go be a doctor). So a combination of genuine interest by the students and more interesting subject material lightens up the mood in the classes, thus the professors enjoy their jobs more and have more fun teaching.

I can't see you having any trouble. The 2nd year classes aren't too difficult to grasp and it seems like you had no trouble in 1st year so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also you mentioned physics students were most successful in finding a job. Do you happen to know what any graduates are doing ? (who either have possessing an BSc or MSc)

I found the presentation slides that were presented in the seminar. Here's some stats:

Discipline - Employment Rate after 6 months - after 2 years

Agriculture/Bio 82.4% 92.3%
Computer Science 100% 100%
Engineering 95.1% 100%
Mathematics 90.9% 84.6%
Physical Sciences 100% 100%

The above is taken from UWO graduates and by no means represents a national average.

I don't know any info about exactly WHAT graduates went in to. All i know is that they tend to find a job shortly after graduation.

Also, something interesting if you're considering Law or Medicine:

Scores on the LSAT:
Discipline - Mean score - Number of applicants
Physics 161.5 180
Math 159.7 336
Economics 157.4 3047
Electrical Eng 156.3 546
Mech Eng 156.0 427
Chem 155.7 355
English 154.7 5120
Bio 154.5 1055
Comp Sci 154.0 682
Poli Sci 153.0 14964
Psych 152.5 4355
Pre-Law 148.3 1078
Criminal Justice 145.5 3306

I don't know the source of the above stats, source was given in the presentation

On the MCAT based on section (2009 averages) :

Discipline - Physical Science - Biological Science - Verbal Reasoning

Biomed Eng 10.9 10.7 9.6
Physics 11.1 10.3 9.6
Electrical Eng 10.9 10.5 9.4
Math 10.3 10.1 9.6
Biochem 9.9 10.3 9.1
Chem 9.8 9.9 9
Microbiology 9 9.9 8.7
Biology 8.7 9.5 8.7
Premed 8.3 9 8.4

Source: AIP Statistical Reserach Center compiled data from the Data Warehouse of the American Association of Medical Colleges

tl;dr
Physics students succeed wherever they go.

Sorry for the formatting, I typed it out in a nice chart looking style but it just collapsed down when I hit submit.

Alright that's what I've been doing so far in math anyway, good to see it works in 2nd year :p.
oh right! How are the labs in 2nd year compared to the 1st year? didn't particularly like the 1st year ones...(is that a bad sign if I'm considering physics?)
thanks for the statistics! I think I've actually seen some similar ones (like the mcat) posted up in the MSA. pretty neat. and kinda persuasive haha.

also I was wondering by how much course work do Physics majors and Engineering majors differ? could a Physics major do a Masters in some engineering field? ( i question this incase i encounter job problems in the future and need to make myself more marketable)

Anyway... so you don't know anyone with a chem minor...how bout someone who was considering chem but chose physics? or perhaps even you could give me some suggestions on how to solve my chem/phys dilemma?

Thanks again for the replies Clever!

An Engineer will strongly argue that they have a harder time, which they're probably right. A friend of mine is in Electrical Engineering and his schedule scares the **** out of me, but they also have more labs than a Physics Major (most of their courses include a lab component). It isn't uncommon for a Physics Major to end up in an Engineering field (masters or otherwise), so you aren't closing the door on Engineering by studying physics. So yes you could still pursue Eng.

I can't seem to recall anyone who has had a chem/physics conflict like yours before so unfortunately I can't be of any more assistance there. Just switch to physics and don't look back haha. While in the Physics program you could still take some chemistry courses to keep your interest up in that area, but other than that I don't know how you can reconcile those interests.

Clever-Name said:
An Engineer will strongly argue that they have a harder time, which they're probably right. A friend of mine is in Electrical Engineering and his schedule scares the **** out of me, but they also have more labs than a Physics Major (most of their courses include a lab component).
They just have more classes, which by itself doesn't mean they have to work harder.

lisab said:
Might you consider engineering? It's close to physics but much more marketable.

I disagree, engineering is classical mechanics.. but there is much more to physics then just classical mechanics. e.g. quantum mechanics, relativity, etc.

If he wants to do physics then let him pursue his passion. Going into engineering because its more marketable might make him regret it later.

At OP, you can take physics, but take a great deal into making yourself marketable. Be wary.

Ryker said:
They just have more classes, which by itself doesn't mean they have to work harder.

Hmm actually it does, more classes, more labs, more projects, more work all around; the physics major is harder in the context of concepts and math but the average engineering major is forced to more all around work than the average physics major. Hell a physics senior lab course is a joke compared to the capstone design project of the engineering major. The main detriment of the engineering major is that they place rigour (conceptual and mathematical) on the back burner a lot of the time and you hyper specialize in one area which means your breadth of knowledge isn't very general. All the physics/math double majors at my school think all engineers and experimental physicists are idiots who all they do is turn knobs all day cause they couldn't hack it as theoretical physicists and mathematicians but they don't know the all around work and more general concerns those guys have. It'd be somewhat easier (not easy, easier) if all I had to do was write equations and do programming than on top of those two things worry about financial constraints, availability of design materials and components, etc. I've done Analysis courses in the math department btw so don't think I don't know or appreciate how rigorous theory guys go, all my engineering friends were scared out of their minds when they saw it took an entire whiteboard to complete one integral transformed in the complex plane to solve. I've only met one other engineering major who found that interesting, and I think that is a problem with many engineering programs.

Last edited:
OK, so to offer some anectodal evidence to support what I said. There's two people I spoke to about engineering at my university, one a Computer Engineer, then second one someone who changed from first being in Engineering, then Engineering Physics and now Physics. The first one said that, yeah, they have a lot of classes and labs, and it takes a lot of time to be there, but apart from that he said he barely studies at home. Now I don't know whether that's different with other engineering disciplines (it might well be), but like I said - in and of itself the number of courses don't mean much. I remember from back home where med students would only have 3 exams in their first year, while some social science students had 12. Despite that, I don't think anyone could even start to argue the latter had it harder.

When I was talking to the second guy I mentioned, I asked him how hard it is with so many classes, and he said the classes are easier than the ones he has now as a Physics major. I didn't ask him directly what he would consider an easier course, but when he said that he said it in an assuring way as if to say not to worry about the supposedly tough time engineers have. This kind of goes with what I experienced back home, where engineering was reasonably hard, but nothing too lose sleep over. It's a different system over there, though, so this may or may not say much.

Ryker said:
OK, so to offer some anectodal evidence to support what I said. There's two people I spoke to about engineering at my university, one a Computer Engineer, then second one someone who changed from first being in Engineering, then Engineering Physics and now Physics. The first one said that, yeah, they have a lot of classes and labs, and it takes a lot of time to be there, but apart from that he said he barely studies at home. Now I don't know whether that's different with other engineering disciplines (it might well be), but like I said - in and of itself the number of courses don't mean much. I remember from back home where med students would only have 3 exams in their first year, while some social science students had 12. Despite that, I don't think anyone could even start to argue the latter had it harder.

When I was talking to the second guy I mentioned, I asked him how hard it is with so many classes, and he said the classes are easier than the ones he has now as a Physics major. I didn't ask him directly what he would consider an easier course, but when he said that he said it in an assuring way as if to say not to worry about the supposedly tough time engineers have. This kind of goes with what I experienced back home, where engineering was reasonably hard, but nothing too lose sleep over. It's a different system over there, though, so this may or may not say much.

I wouldn't doubt that someone whose gone through rigorous physics and math would think the engineering courses are easier, they definately are. After I took complex analysis and pde's no math that an engineering professor throws at me looks intimidating, and a lot of the courses being plug and chug type stuff I admit to being frustrated at the lack of rigour in some courses. But it is difficult in it's own way, namely if you chose to pack a lot of courses together than it will get reasonably hard, especially with engineering that teach like they're mathematicians and physicists, than it's a little more fun.

I've spent 2 years in chem(against my desire), then switched to physics, haven't looked back since. Guess its up to what you like doing. I don't have a lot of patience for doing analytical chemistry in a lab (my university had a terrible one as well) and I just enjoy the subjects in physics in their entirety, while some subjects in chemistry just didn't motivate me.

I did love p-chem and inorganic chemistry, the whole book-learning process, reasoning how bond lengths and reactivities were related to atomic orbitals and such, but I couldn't synthesize anything worth a damn. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone I really appreciate it!

@Lavabug: i was wondering how were you in chem against your desire? parents or someone making you take? but that's great to hear you switched to something you like! did you always enjoy physics or did you develop it over the years in uni?

@ Anyone and Everyone: anyone a recent graduate/know a recent graduate (in physics or chem, either bsc/msc/phd) in Canada? and know what they are doing?

also earlier in the thread i made mention about how the job market in USA is going down for chem related jobs(not sure if this applies to physics as well...). does anyone know if this holds true in Canada? i haven't been able to find Canadian statistics other than the one Clever-Name posted but that was for UWO(in which physical sciences did well) butnot a national average :S

another thing, i forget if it was in a magazine/blog/forum, but i read that USA is becoming a "services" country and moving away from research and development... would anyone know if this applied to Canada ? and perhaps what countries support research and development a lot?

Long story short: silly bureaucratic reasons. Lost my first year when I moved to another country and had to start from scratch (going through the admissions process without having taken the entrance exams in Spain put me at a disadvantage, so I did a 2-year vocational training module in analytical chem just to get (limited) access to university (I also spent a short time working at a water processing plant's lab). After spending 2 years in chem at a distance learning university I got the opportunity to transfer out to physics at a fairly reputable school, so I did so with my eyes closed.

I always had a general interest in science, especially physics, but I sort of chickened out of the math when I was finishing high school, then I regained an even stronger interest in it during my time in chemistry.

I really like the theory aspect of chemistry, chemical bonds, etc. but I think I'm a bit of a hazard in a lab environment. :P

And my personal opinion: Do what you like, but do it right and give it 110%. Whatever you choose to go into, push yourself to be the best (insert profession) you can, regardless if you're a carpenter, engineer, doctor, etc. or you will probably not succeed, or will, but will be miserable for not having chosen something you thought was genuinely worth your time. Think long term goals, then ponder and inform yourself of what you need to do to achieve them and start with baby steps. Don't make hasty decisions. Again, my 2 cents.

Last edited:
^ well good to hear you were able to swich to what you like :)

haha your past situation is kinda similar to my current one. I also was iffy about math but gained an interest and appreciation in it the past year. I also really like the theory parts of chemistry (a field which turns out was contributed to by many physicists haha..)

and thanks for your 2 cents! i'll keep that in mind :)
any tips on how i can think of long term goals and progress towards it? i can't decide if i want to stay in academia or go into industry... then again I've only done 1 year of undergrad so my knowledge is really limited =/

Well, I haven't been here long, but this forum seems to be chock full of resources and very knowledgeable people with experience in both academia and industry.

I majored in Physics math and chemistry in my undergrad. Everyone (other than wannabe doctors) I spoke to in the Chem program at some point or another confessed they really wished they had done physics. This seemed to occur during or after P-Chem. I believe it's because, as said before, physics is more challenging and there is a bit more explanation of "why?"

Personally, I feel I wasted a lot of time getting the chemistry degree. The only thoroughly interesting classes were Pchem and some inorganic. The reason I liked them was because I knew enough physics that I was able to frame the material appropriately and understand what was going on as opposed to manipulating a myriad of equations.

Don't let P-Chem lure you into chemistry.

Everything interesting about P-Chem is in the physics anyway. You just might need a P-chem book to flesh it out and see.

edit: I am referring to the undergrad P-Chem class, not the field. But to understand some of the papers I felt my physics/math background was an absolute necessity.

Last edited:
Learn physics to open your mind then you can do anything else... not saying that because i am a physicist but no other sciences would challenge your skills and imagination like physics, of course if you get bad profs it will end up more like math rather than real physics, but thanks to god the net got loads of good materials.
Physical chemistry is a chemists thing, since they needed to learn some physics specially on the quantum part and particles physics.
Physics leaves almost nothing out , but to make a break through in physics is very hard, since it got to blocked way where radical new ways of thinking are needed, which seems not yet achieved.
try read some general books about both disciplines and see what attracts you more, because you will need to love what you are doing to be able to continue, won't be an easy ride ;)

hey thanks for the replies guys!

@perturbator : wow those 3? must have been intense! i'mglad for your input about pchem! it seems the only thing right now keeping me in chem is inorganic/organic (synthesis and etc is kinda cool) which leads me to my next question- are there any topics in physics that might cross over and reference/teach about developing/synthesizing materials or compounds or something like that? (since you have studied some inorganic and physics maybe you could provide insight)

also out of curiosity, what are you doing now/ what did you do after your undergrad?

@Samo84 : haha that is actually something i was thinking about like 10 minutes ago, the "creativity" aspect that i'd be taught. hopefully textbooks will encourage if it not the prof. So out of curiousity, you said you are a physicist, what field are you currently in?

tripsky said:
hey thanks for the replies guys!

@perturbator : wow those 3? must have been intense! i'mglad for your input about pchem! it seems the only thing right now keeping me in chem is inorganic/organic (synthesis and etc is kinda cool) which leads me to my next question- are there any topics in physics that might cross over and reference/teach about developing/synthesizing materials or compounds or something like that? (since you have studied some inorganic and physics maybe you could provide insight)

The math and physics went together without too much additional work. The chem made it go overboard. I'm not really into the synthesis and such (was never really into the labs that much), however, many friends of mine related that they needed physics to understand what they were making and how it happens, but actually doing the lab work was rather routine (they were messing with nano rods). For chemical compounds though---if you can get a good grasp of approximation methods in quantum mechanics that will help. As will understanding the ideas of hyperfine splitting and that fun quantum jazz.

For the most part, if you know physics, you will be able to understand more about what you're synthesizing and why you're doing it that way. Without the physics, you'll more often than not just have to accept that that's the way it is. Which can be stifling to one's motivation.

For a reference, check out McQuarrie's PChem book. It's great, I learned a lot of my undergrad quantum mechanics (and thermodynamics) from it. Definitely see if your library has it (or get a copy of your own).

Keep in mind if you like lab work---you can do a physics degree and continue working in the chemistry labs. Just talk to whoever it is you want to work with and see if you can work something out.

If I had it to do over again I would have just taken PChem and inorganic. That's an option too (if you just want to take the class).

Thats interesting! Wish chem would go more indepth...but then again... i guess chemists (the few i know anyway) probably don't care that indepth about why it's happening... else they'd have been physicists

thanks for the recommendation, ill look for that book next time I'm at the library. do you also know a good book to recommend so i read up a bit about orgo/inorgo?

tripsky said:
So out of curiousity, you said you are a physicist, what field are you currently in?

Stochastic and Quantum physics

tripsky said:
thanks for the recommendation, ill look for that book next time I'm at the library. do you also know a good book to recommend so i read up a bit about orgo/inorgo?

For organic, I am thoroughly convinced the best book is "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden and company.

For inorganic we used atkins and shriver, which was alright, but I felt there was little new material I hadn't seen. In that class I mostly fished for articles and such related to what I cared about spin-orbit coupling and that jazz.

1. What are the main differences between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Chemistry, on the other hand, is the study of matter and its properties, composition, and reactions. It involves understanding the structure, composition, and behavior of substances at the molecular and atomic levels.

2. Which field has better career opportunities?

Both physics and chemistry offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as research, healthcare, technology, and education. The choice ultimately depends on your interests and skills. If you enjoy working with numbers and solving complex problems, physics may be a better fit. If you have a strong interest in the composition and behavior of substances, chemistry may be a better option.

3. Which field requires more math?

Both physics and chemistry involve a significant amount of math. However, physics typically requires a deeper understanding and application of mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Chemistry, on the other hand, may involve more basic math skills such as algebra and geometry.

4. Can I study both physics and chemistry?

Yes, it is possible to study both physics and chemistry. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs or allow students to major in one field and minor in the other. However, keep in mind that both fields require a significant amount of time and dedication, so it may be challenging to balance both simultaneously.

5. Which field is more research-oriented?

Both physics and chemistry involve a significant amount of research, but the focus may differ. Physics research often involves theoretical and experimental studies to understand the fundamental laws of the universe. Chemistry research, on the other hand, may focus on practical applications and developing new materials or substances. Ultimately, the level of research involvement depends on your specific interests and the specific area of study within each field.