Can't Decide What Math Course To Take Next

• Courses
  • Thread starter cwatki14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary: So my advice would be to just suck it up and take real analysis.In summary, the speaker is currently a bioengineering major but has been leaning towards pure mathematics and is only two classes away from a degree. They are considering taking courses in Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Topology, Non-Euclidean Geometry, PDE's, or Dynamical Systems but are running into scheduling conflicts and social concerns. The speaker is advised to take Real Analysis as soon as possible, even though there may be an obnoxious classmate, as it is necessary for a good understanding of other math courses.
cwatki14
Currently, I am a bioengineering major, but I have been taking math electives the past year and a half, and now I am finding myself liking pure mathematics much more than engineering and only two classes away from a degree. The two courses I need are Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra. Currently, I am finishing up an upper level course in ODE and PDE's and one in Complex Analysis. However, I am running into problems finding something to take next semester. I can't take algebra because it overlaps with Cell Biology. I want to take Real Analysis but unfortunately this super obnoxious kid is taking it, and it's only a 7 or so person class, so I don't think I could bare it. My other options are Topology, Non-Euclidean Geometry, PDE's, or Dynamical Systems. Are any of these courses suited to take without Real Analysis, or should I just suck it up and take analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on how the courses are taught, you might be able to take PDE's or Dynamical Systems without a class in analysis, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have first. You could check with the professors of these classes, and see what they think. However, any good topology class without any course in Real Analysis is out of the question.

I'd think that if you are more interested in pure mathematics, you should take real analysis as soon as possible. It sounds like you already sort of know this, but are avoiding it for social reasons. There are annoying people everywhere, and there could just as easily be someone else just as annoying in whichever other class you decide to take.

What are the different math courses available?

There are many different math courses available, such as algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and trigonometry. Each course has its own focus and level of difficulty.

What are the requirements for each math course?

The requirements for each math course may vary, but general prerequisites include a strong foundation in basic math skills and a certain level of proficiency in previous math courses. It is best to consult with a math advisor or teacher for specific requirements.

How do I determine which math course is right for me?

It is important to consider your current math skills, your future academic or career goals, and your personal interests when choosing a math course. You can also seek advice from a math teacher or advisor for guidance.

What if I am struggling in my current math course?

If you are struggling in your current math course, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide extra support and resources to help you understand the material better. It may also be beneficial to review your study habits and make any necessary adjustments.

Can I switch to a different math course mid-semester?

It is possible to switch to a different math course mid-semester, but it is best to consult with your teacher or advisor first. They can help you determine if the switch is feasible and if any changes need to be made to your schedule.