What math course is best for me?

• Courses
  • Thread starter nuclearlove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the individual has taken High School Geometry and is now attending Finger Lakes Community College. FLCC recommended they take Pre-Calculus, but they have signed up for College Algebra and do not know Trigonometry. The college offers a Trigonometry course and the individual plans to go into nuclear physics after FLCC. They express a love for math and ask for advice on the recommended order of courses.
nuclearlove
I took High School Geometry and I am going to Finger Lakes Community College in less than a month. FLCC recommended that I take Pre-Calculus but I signed up for College Algebra but I do not know Trigonometry. Also the college offer Trigonometry Course

After FLCC I want to go into nuclear physics what college in New York has a good nuclear physics program.

Also LOVED math in high school

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know trig no mater what. Most pre-calc is college algebra + trig, plus depending on your instructor, you may get into limits. Id just stick to precalc.

Can you check the course descriptions to see if there is a recommended order? I would tend to think that College Algebra precedes Pre-Calc... but the course descriptions from the course catalogue (which is now often available online) should help. The catalogue should also have a description of the trig course. If prerequsites aren't shown, the numerical order of the courses should help. I'd also feel free to contact the members of the department to see if they can give some advice (especially contact instructors of the courses of interest... they would want ot have you in their course... but of course want you to be properly prepared for that course).

Also: Did you take any algebra in HS before taking HS geometry?

Yes, I took Algebra 1 all the way to right angle trig basic I mean

I would recommend taking the Pre-Calculus course recommended by FLCC. Pre-Calculus is a foundational course that covers important topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions, which are essential for success in higher level math courses like Calculus and beyond. While College Algebra may seem like a good option, it may not cover all the necessary material for a future career in nuclear physics. Additionally, it is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometry, as it is a fundamental concept in physics and can greatly benefit your understanding of nuclear physics.

In terms of finding a college with a good nuclear physics program in New York, I would recommend researching universities that have strong physics departments and offer specific courses or concentrations in nuclear physics. Some universities that come to mind are Columbia University, Cornell University, and University at Buffalo. It may also be beneficial to reach out to current students or professors in these programs to get a better understanding of the curriculum and opportunities available.

Lastly, I am glad to hear that you loved math in high school. This passion and interest in the subject will serve you well in your future studies and career in nuclear physics. Keep up the enthusiasm and continue to challenge yourself in math and science courses. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What math course is best for me?

The best math course for you depends on your current math skills, your academic goals, and your career aspirations. It is important to talk to your academic advisor or a math teacher to determine which course would be the most beneficial for you.

2. Should I take a higher level math course, even if I struggle with math?

It is always good to challenge yourself and push your limits, but it is also important to be realistic about your abilities. If you are struggling with math, it may be best to start with a lower level course and work your way up. This will give you a strong foundation and prepare you for more advanced courses in the future.

3. Is it better to take a theoretical or applied math course?

This depends on your academic goals and the career path you are interested in. Theoretical math courses focus on abstract concepts and proofs, while applied math courses focus on real-world problem-solving. If you are pursuing a career in a field that requires problem-solving skills, an applied math course may be more beneficial. If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, a theoretical math course may be a better choice.

4. Can I take more than one math course at a time?

This is possible, but it is important to consider your workload and time management skills. Depending on the level of difficulty of the courses, it may be better to focus on one math course at a time to ensure you have enough time to properly study and understand the material.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in my math course?

There are many resources available to help students succeed in math courses. Most schools have tutoring services, study groups, and online resources. It is also important to communicate with your professor and ask for help when needed. Additionally, practicing and reviewing material regularly can also greatly improve your understanding and success in the course.