Can't Find Error in Application of Gauss's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding an error in a nonconducting sphere made of two layers with different charge densities. The conversation then moves on to a homework problem involving determining the electric field within the sphere. The solution involves finding the electric field of each layer separately and adding them together. However, there is a mistake in the calculation for the inner layer that results in a different answer than what is given in the book. The mistake is found to be due to not taking into account the region inside the outer layer.
SaintsTheMeta
Can't find the error I made... Rudimentary problem i know but i can't find where my mistake is...

Homework Statement

A nonconducting sphere is made of two layers. The innermost section has a radius of 6.0 cm and a uniform charge density of -5.0 C/m3. The outer layer has a uniform charge density of +8.0 C/m3 and extends from an inner radius of 6.0 cm to an outer radius of 12.0 cm. Determine the electric field for: ... (b) 6.0 cm < r < 12.0 cm

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law [tex]\oint\vec{E}\text{dA=}\frac{Q_{encl}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I would find the electric field due to the inner layer and then the outer layer and add them together.
Starting with the outer layer:
[tex]\tex{E(4}\pi\tex{r^{2})=}\frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\tex{(}\frac{r^{3}}{r_{0}^{3}}\tex{)Q}[/tex]
[tex]\tex{E=}\frac{1}{\tex{4}\pi\epsilon_{0}}\tex{(}\frac{r}{r_{0}^{3}}\tex{)Q}[/tex]
[tex]\tex{E=}\frac{1}{\tex{4}\pi\epsilon_{0}}\tex{(}\frac{1}{0.12^{3}}\tex{)(}\frac{4}{3}\pi\cdot\tex{0.12^{3})(8)r[/tex]
[tex]{E=}\frac{8}{3\epsilon_{0}}{r}[/tex]
[tex]{E=3.0}\cdot{10^{11}r}\hspace{1 pc}\frac{N\cdot\tex{m}}{C}[/tex]
so far so good i think
now for the internal part...
[tex]{E(4}\pi\tex{r^{2})}=}\frac{Q}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]{E=}\frac{1}{4\pi\tex{r^{2}}\epsilon_{0}}{(}\frac{4}{3}\pi\tex{0.06^{3})(-5)[/tex]
[tex]{E=}\frac{-0.00108}{3\cdot\tex{(8.9\cdot{10^{-12})r^{2}}}}[/tex]
[tex]{E=-4.1}\cdot{10^{7}}\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex]

however there is the problem... i don't see where my mistake was in that second part, but the book says the second part of the Electric Field from the core sphere should be -1.1x10^8/r^2...

so confused maybe its just too late (early) but any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the book explicitly state that the electric field from the inner sphere is -1.1 x 10^8/r^2, or does it state the electric field between two radial distances?

Last edited:
Gear300 said:
Does the book explicitly state that the electric field from the inner sphere is -1.1 x 10^8/r^2, or does it state the electric field between two radial distances?

The book gives the answer as exactly:
-(1.1 x 10^8 N*m^2/C)/r^2 + (3.0 x 10^11 N/C*m)r

And as my outer shell matches the second part of their answer exactly, i can only assume that the first part is what my inner shell should amount to...

Your calculation for the outer shell assumes you have a solid sphere, including the region [itex]r<0.06~\mbox{m}[/itex]. To compensate for that, the book used a charge density of -13 C/m^3 for the inner sphere.

vela said:
Your calculation for the outer shell assumes you have a solid sphere, including the region [itex]r<0.06~\mbox{m}[/itex]. To compensate for that, the book used a charge density of -13 C/m^3 for the inner sphere.

OH! I see!

Yea for anyone else that might stumble here from google like i always do, I forgot to subtract out the inside of the outer sphere.

Thank you vela!

What is Gauss's Law and how is it used?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the electric charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point. It is used to calculate the electric field in a variety of situations, including point charges, line charges, and charged surfaces.

Why is it important to apply Gauss's Law correctly?

If Gauss's Law is not applied correctly, the calculated electric field may be incorrect. This can lead to incorrect predictions and calculations in various situations, including electric circuits, capacitors, and charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

What are some common errors made when applying Gauss's Law?

Some common errors include not considering all of the charge enclosed by the surface, using the wrong surface to enclose the charge, and not considering the direction of the electric field correctly. It is important to carefully consider the geometry and symmetry of the problem when applying Gauss's Law.

How can one check for errors in the application of Gauss's Law?

One way to check for errors is to make sure that the calculated electric field satisfies the boundary conditions of the problem. For example, the electric field should be continuous and have the correct direction and magnitude at the boundaries. Additionally, it is helpful to double-check all calculations and make sure all relevant charges are included in the enclosed surface.

What are some tips for successfully applying Gauss's Law?

Some tips include carefully choosing the surface to enclose the charge, using the appropriate symmetry arguments, and being mindful of the direction of the electric field. It is also helpful to practice applying Gauss's Law to a variety of problems in order to become more familiar with its applications.