1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't find formula of a serie.

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    A problem from my old Calculus book I can't solve...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the formula of this serie knowing its first five terms:

[tex]1 +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

2. Relevant formulas

If the first term was 1/2 then the formula would simply be

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{i}{2+3(i-1)}\right)^{i}[/tex]

but the first term being 1, I can't see how to do it...

(Maybe the first term IS 1/2 and it got missprinted in the book ?)

Also, the answer is not given in the book.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried these as possible values for a first item equal to 1 without any success:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{0}=1[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{1}\right)^{1}=1[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{2}{2}\right)^{1}=1[/tex]

So, is there a formula for this serie with first term = 1 ?

Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2
    could you do 1 + [tex]
    \sum_{i = 2}^{\infty}\left(\frac{i}{3i-1)}\right)^{i}
    [/tex] ? I can't think of a series that fits there without just not counting the "first" term.

4. May 9, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How about this?
    [tex]1/2 +\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{1} + \left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

Now you can write this as 1/2 + the summation you had, starting at i = 1, though. I don't see any problem with doing that.

5. May 9, 2009 #4
    Thanks Hogger and Mark44.

I think you got it !

I needed the formula of the serie to figure out if it converge or not.
    Substracting 1/2 from it made me remember about this theorem from the book:

"Convergence or divergence of a serie is not affected by adding or substracting a finite number of terms from it."

So, and if I get all this right, convergence or divergence of these series will be the same:

The serie from the book:

[tex]1 +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

The serie minus 1/2:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{1} +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

The second serie brings us back to the Relevant formula of my original post and I know how to find-out if it converge or not.

If it does, the serie from the book does to.

Is this right ?

Thanks !

6. May 10, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is right.

BTW, there is no such word in English as "serie." The word is series, which is both singular and plural.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook