Can't get computer to boot from cd

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, to reformat a computer with Windows 2000, you need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS and ensure that the CD-ROM drive is set as the first option. If there are multiple CD drives, try both to see which one is the correct one for booting. Also, make sure the Windows 2000 CD is bootable or create bootable floppy disks as an alternative.
z4955
trying to reformat computer with windows 2000 and can't get computer to boot from cd even though the cd drive is first in boot sequence

how can I get it to boot up from the cd?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to set the boot sequence in the bios. That's the only way. Also, do you have multiple CDROMS?

it's already set as 1st in bios. there is E = cd rom and D = dvd
in bios E is 1. ATAPI CD-ROM Drive, 2. Removable Devices, 3. Hard Drive, 4. Network Boot
then it has > hard drive, > removable devices

I had the cd in E drive

Well yes, option one I'd imagine...

Try both CD drives, once I tried to boot from CD but then realized I had the CD in the wrong drive...

It's in your bios somewhere...

is the cd bootable?

Make Windows 2000 bootable floppy disks, Windows 2000 CD is not bootable.

You will need 4 floppy disks I think.

1. Why won't my computer boot from the CD?

There could be a few different reasons why your computer is not booting from the CD. First, check that the CD is inserted correctly and that it is a bootable CD. If the CD is damaged or not bootable, your computer will not be able to boot from it. Also, make sure that your computer's BIOS settings are configured to boot from the CD. If the BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive first, your computer will not boot from the CD.

2. How can I change the boot order in my computer's BIOS?

To change the boot order in your computer's BIOS, you will need to access the BIOS settings. This can usually be done by pressing a specific key during the boot process, such as F2 or Delete. Once in the BIOS settings, navigate to the "Boot" or "Boot Order" section and use the arrow keys to move the CD/DVD drive to the top of the list. Save and exit the BIOS, and your computer should now boot from the CD.

3. Can a faulty CD/DVD drive prevent my computer from booting from a CD?

Yes, a faulty CD/DVD drive can prevent your computer from booting from a CD. If the drive is not functioning properly, your computer will not be able to read the bootable CD. Try using a different CD/DVD drive or replacing the faulty one to see if this resolves the issue.

4. Is it possible to boot from a USB drive instead of a CD?

Yes, it is possible to boot from a USB drive instead of a CD. Some computers may not have a CD/DVD drive, or the drive may not be functioning properly. In this case, you can create a bootable USB drive with the necessary files and boot your computer from it. Make sure your computer's BIOS is set to boot from a USB drive in order for this to work.

5. Can a virus prevent my computer from booting from a CD?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can prevent your computer from booting from a CD. Some viruses can alter the boot process, making it difficult for your computer to boot from external devices. It's important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and ensure that your antivirus software is up to date to prevent these types of issues.