Can't Identify Variable in QM Question

In summary, z0 represents the width of the potential in problem 2.31 of Griffiths' QM book, where the Delta-function well is a "weak" potential as the width approaches zero.
Jbar
Hello, my question is a simple one:

I am attempting to do problem 2.31 in Griffiths' QM book (latest edition). The question states, "The Dirac Delta function can be thought of as the limiting case of a rectangle of area 1, as the height goes to infinity and the width to zero. Show that the Delta-function well is a "weak" potential, in the sense that z0 -> 0. ..."

What is z0 in this case? I've not seen it introduced anywhere in the book and there's no description for what it represents. I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious but any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbar said:
Hello, my question is a simple one:

I am attempting to do problem 2.31 in Griffiths' QM book (latest edition). The question states, "The Dirac Delta function can be thought of as the limiting case of a rectangle of area 1, as the height goes to infinity and the width to zero. Show that the Delta-function well is a "weak" potential, in the sense that z0 -> 0. ..."

What is z0 in this case? I've not seen it introduced anywhere in the book and there's no description for what it represents. I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious but any help would be great.

The meaning of z0 is specific to this problem and I don't have Griffith's book, but it almost certainly means that z0 is the width of the potential.

Likes 1 person

What is a variable in quantum mechanics?

A variable in quantum mechanics refers to a physical quantity that can take on different values in a system. These variables can include properties such as position, momentum, and energy.

Why is it important to identify variables in QM questions?

Identifying variables in QM questions is important because they are the key to understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics. They allow us to describe the behavior of particles and systems and make predictions about their properties.

What are the common variables used in QM problems?

Some common variables used in QM problems include position, momentum, energy, angular momentum, and spin. These variables are used to describe the behavior of particles and systems in quantum mechanics.

How do I identify the variables in a QM question?

To identify the variables in a QM question, first look for physical quantities that are changing or are of interest in the problem. These quantities can be represented by symbols such as x, p, and E. Next, determine the units of these symbols to ensure they are consistent with the units of the physical quantities they represent.

What should I do if I can't identify a variable in a QM question?

If you are having trouble identifying a variable in a QM question, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and focusing on one aspect at a time. You can also consult textbooks or online resources for examples of common variables used in QM problems. If you are still unsure, it is always a good idea to seek guidance from a more experienced scientist or professor.