1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cant understand from where the numbers come from

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    suppose that the nonlinear resistor R has a characteristics specified by the equation:
    [tex]
    v=20i+i^2+0.5i^3
    [/tex]
    express v as a sum of sinusoids for
    [tex]
    i(t)=cos \omega _1t +2cos \omega _2t \\
    [/tex]
    the solution in the book is
    http://i43.tinypic.com/eve807.gif

i get a differnt expression why??
    [tex]
    v=20cos \omega _1t +40cos \omega _2t + cos^2 \omega _1t +4cos (\omega _1t) cos (\omega _2t)+4cos^2 \omega _2t+0.5cos^3 \omega _1t+2cos^2 \omega _1tcos \omega _2t+0.5cos^3 \omega _1t+2cos \omega _1tcos^2 \omega _2t+4cos^3 \omega _2t
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You haven't completely reduced. For example, you have powers and products of cosines. Those can be reduced to first power by trig identitities: [itex]cos^2(\omega_1t)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2\omega_1t))[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega_1t)cos(\omega_2t)= (1/2)(cos((\omega_1+\omega_2)t)+ cos((\omega_1- \omega_2)t))[/itex].
    [itex]cos^3(\omega_1t)[/itex] can be written as [itex]cos(\omega_1t)cos^2(\omega_1t)= cos(\omega_1t)(1/2)(1+ cos(2\omega_1t))[/itex] which can be reduced, and so on.

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3
    still i cant see i get numbers here
    like they did
    as far is i know only sin^2 a +cos^2 a =1

and my expression and not your has anything near that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook