Can't understand the question of a sound problem.

In summary: Make a few sketches of the setup and superimpose a wave, or block, or arrow, or what ever your choice is to represent the progress of the sound signal. Here's my version for when the sound first reaches B from A:B starts to hear the sound from A at time t=0. The wave reaches its peak at time t=2t and then starts to decay.
kadesh

Homework Statement

Two kids are positioned as in the following figure and A emits a long sound. d=100m, x=40m, vsound=340m/s
L53Qbq4.jpg

How long (t) does the sound emitted by A has to be such that B perceives a signal that lasts 2t?

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Seems like an easy problem. I don't understand what do we mean by "long sound", and what does it mean that a sound lasts t seconds. Does this mean that A can hear the sound for t seconds and B has to hear the sound for 2t seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kadesh, Welcome to Physics Forums!

kadesh said:
Seems like an easy problem. I don't understand what do we mean by "long sound", and what does it mean that a sound lasts t seconds. Does this mean that A can hear the sound for t seconds and B has to hear the sound for 2t seconds?

By a "long sound" it means a constant sound that is emitted for some time t. Imagine that A has, say, a musical instrument such as a trumpet and he blows a note for a period lasting t seconds, then stops.

Bad translation or bad rendering of the problem statement ?: there is no t in there, so 2t is meaningless.

BvU said:
Bad translation or bad rendering of the problem statement ?: there is no t in there, so 2t is meaningless.
t is the duration in seconds of the sound emitted by A. We need to find that. I just named it t such that we can easily talk about it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Is this a primary signal plus echo signal problem ?

gneill said:
Hi kadesh, Welcome to Physics Forums!
By a "long sound" it means a constant sound that is emitted for some time t. Imagine that A has, say, a musical instrument such as a trumpet and he blows a note for a period lasting t seconds, then stops.

Thank you for your greetings! Well, then if B hears the sound for 2t seconds then it hears the original sound for t seconds and the echo for t seconds?

Nidum said:
Is this a primary signal plus echo signal problem ?

Yes, indeed. My cousin asked me to help her with it. It's been some time since I solved this kind of problems and I forgot how to interpret them.

kadesh said:
Thank you for your greetings! Well, then if B hears the sound for 2t seconds then it hears the original sound for t seconds and the echo for t seconds?
That would be a good approach. Make a sketch: time horizontally and vertically the yes/no (or 1, 0) of B hearing the sound.

kadesh said:
That would depend upon the geometry. B should start hearing sound first directly from A, but later from both A and the reflection from the wall. When A stops making sound, B will still be hearing sound from the wall for some time. The question is, how long should A keep making sound (then stop) in order for B to hear sound for twice as long as A made sound?

You would do well to make some sketches showing the sound's progress over time.

gneill said:
That would depend upon the geometry. B should start hearing sound first directly from A, but later from both A and the reflection from the wall. When A stops making sound, B will still be hearing sound from the wall for some time. The question is, how long should A keep making sound (then stop) in order for B to hear sound for twice as long as A made sound?

You would do well to make some sketches showing the sound's progress over time.

Thanks again for your answer but you kind of lost me there... The graph shouldn't be a horizontal line (y=1) from 0 to 2t?

kadesh said:
Thanks again for your answer but you kind of lost me there... The graph shouldn't be a horizontal line (y=1) from 0 to 2t?
Make a few sketches of the setup and superimpose a wave, or block, or arrow, or what ever your choice is to represent the progress of the sound signal. Here's my version for when the sound first reaches B from A:

upload_2017-1-29_9-30-3.png

Likes BvU

1. Why can't I understand the question of a sound problem?

There could be multiple reasons for not being able to understand a question related to sound problems. Some possible reasons include: the question is poorly worded or confusing, the question is too technical or complex, or there is a language barrier. It is important to clarify the question or seek help if needed.

2. How can I improve my understanding of sound problems?

To improve your understanding of sound problems, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of sound waves and how they travel. Additionally, practicing active listening skills and asking clarifying questions can also improve your understanding. Seeking out resources such as online tutorials or seeking help from a sound engineer can also be beneficial.

3. Is there a specific method for understanding sound problems?

Yes, there are various methods for understanding sound problems. Some common methods include troubleshooting, using audio equipment properly, and seeking help from experts. It is important to also have a basic understanding of the principles of sound and how different audio systems work.

4. Can sound problems be solved without professional help?

It depends on the complexity of the sound problem. Some minor issues can be solved without professional help by troubleshooting or adjusting audio settings. However, for more complex issues, it is often best to seek help from a professional sound engineer or technician.

5. What should I do if I still can't understand the question of a sound problem?

If you are still having trouble understanding the question of a sound problem, it is important to seek help from someone with more knowledge or expertise in the subject. This could be a sound engineer, a teacher, or a knowledgeable friend. It is also helpful to do some research and educate yourself on the topic to improve your understanding.