How can I calculate the depth of a well using free fall and distance equations?

In summary, to find the depth of the well, we need to set the distance traveled by the rock and the sound waves equal to each other. Using the equations s=v0t+1/2at2 and s=vt, we can solve for t and then find the distance traveled by the rock. This will give us the depth of the well.
Sunsethorizon

Homework Statement

A stone falls from top of a well, 10 seconds later sound of water splash reaches the top of the well. How deep is the well?

g=9.82m/s2, vsound=340m/s , t=10s

2. Homework Equations

s=vt , v=a0+at , s=v0t+1/2at2

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm stuck. I know the distance of the soundwaves traveling from the bottom to the top of the well is given by s=vt. And the distance the rock travels is given by s=v0t+1/2at2.

Do i try figure out for how long the rock travels before hitting the bottom?, Or are equations supposed to be merged? Please point me in the right direction :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have s=v0t+1/2at^2
In this case, the initial velocity is 0, so the distance is s=1/2at^2.
For the sound return, s=340m t.
So you need your two s's to be equal and your two t's to add to 10 seconds.

Use t in one of the equation for motion, and (10 - t) in the one for sound. Set the distances equal to each other. Once you have t, you can find the distance in the usual fashion.

Thank you! Excellent help gentlemen, i fully understand now.

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a term used to describe the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it.

2. How is free fall different from other types of motion?

In free fall, the only force acting on the object is gravity, whereas in other types of motion, there are usually multiple forces at play.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth. This means that an object in free fall will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 towards the ground.

4. How does distance affect free fall?

In free fall, an object will continue to accelerate towards the ground until it reaches its maximum velocity, known as terminal velocity. The distance an object falls is directly proportional to the square of the time it takes to fall. This means that the longer an object falls, the further it will travel.

5. Can free fall occur in a vacuum?

Yes, free fall can occur in a vacuum, as long as there is no air resistance. In a vacuum, there is no air to provide resistance to the object's motion, so it will continue to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate until it reaches terminal velocity.