1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Doppler effect and sound level

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A source emits a spherical sound wave at frequency ##f=110Hz## with power ##P=1 W## in a solid angle of ##2 \pi sr##. An observer moves with velocity ##v_{oss}=108 km/h## towards the source. Determine the sound intensity level received by the moving observer.

2. Relevant equations
    Doppler effect and sound intensity level

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just do not know how to approach the problem because it is very different from a common Doppler effect problem.

The frequency perceived by the observer is ##f'=f(\frac{c+v_{oss}}{c})## but this does not give me the sound intensity level

To find the sound intensity level means to find the intensity. Now, the intensity of a sound wave is ##I= 2 \pi^2 f^2 A^2 \rho##.

Plugging ##f'## in the formula for ##I## does not give the correct result and there must be something that I am missing. How to do such exercises?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2
    You need to define all the variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted