1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't understand this integral!

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    http://www.ph.qmul.ac.uk/phy108/CM2005_week2_Lecture3_Interatomic%20Forces2.pdf [Broken]

Take a look at page 4 example 1.

Why is it, when he performs the integral, it's n-1? What happens when he puts the limts in? Where is the infinty?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First question: It looks like a mistake to me. The basic integral is
    [tex]-A\int \frac{1}{x^n} dx = -A \int x^{-n} dx = \frac{-A}{-n + 1}x^{-n + 1} + C[/tex]
    If you take the (-1) from A and multiply the (-n + 1) you get (n - 1). The exponent of n on the 1/r' is incorrect.

Second question. For the infinite integration limit you need to substitute a noninfinite variable in for r', and then let that variable get larger without bound.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks for that.

So what happens (result) when he subtracted this ever increasing value of r?

Also, how do you multiply the -1 to the power? (well I know how, but I wouldn't have thought I could do that?)

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4
    Actually, it is correct, because his answer is in terms of (1/r). Using your example, you have x^(-n+1). By turning x to 1/x, you introduce another negative sign on the exponent making it
    x^(n-1)

Edit: That last part, that I wrote, should be (1/x)^(n-1).

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The final answer might be correct (I haven't finished the problem), but the expression he (she?) got for the antiderivative is incorrect for the reason I gave in my previous post. That is, unless you can convince me that my work is in error.

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6
    Oh..you mean the part on the second line all the way on the right side...yeah, looks like a typo on the first r' term in the denominator, should be -n+1. I was looking at the final line, which is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook