Cantilever Effect on Different Thickness Plate

In summary, the conversation is about stress analysis for a sheet metal plate with an undercut. The person is trying to determine the deflection at point B and is considering using a moment equation. However, they have been advised to also consider the deflection caused by shear force and rotation at point B. The final equation for total deflection at point B is given as FB(B^2/3+A^2-AB)/EI. The person also requests reading material on summing deflections caused by different factors.
Khowe9
I'm working on some stress analysis for work. I'm analyzing the design of a plate, part of which is meant to deflect under a load. Due to this sheet metal plate being somewhat non-straight forward geometry, calculating correctly is a bit tricky.

I'm putting an undercut into the plate to allow for easier deflection. Since its not one solid thickness, I didnt know if I could use a cantilever equation.

I've included pictures, one of the CAD model showing what the actual plate looks like. The other, a cross section view at the cutout (hopefully this is the correct way to analyze).

http://img210.imageshack.us/i/beam1.png/

http://img121.imageshack.us/i/beam2.png/

I would assume I could use a moment equation, and simplify it to just analyze the thinner section:

Deflection @ B due to the moment: F(A-B)B^2/2EI

However, I've been told to also sum the above with the following equations:

Deflection at B due to F translated at B: FB^3/3EI

As well as factoring in rotation:

Rotation at 'B' due to F translated at 'B': FB^2/2EI
Rotation at 'B' due to the moment of F acting at 'A': F(A-B)B/EI

Multiplying both of the above rotation equations by (A-B), you'd get "increase in deflection".

To which they said I should end up with: FB(B^2/3+A^2-AB)/EI for total deflection at 'B'.

Does this seem correct? I understand where the deflection @ B due to F translated at B equation comes from (the others I'm a bit foggy on), but I don't understand why you would sum up all of these. It seems that if you choose to use the moment to analyze the equation, you don't factor in the other equations...

Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Khowe9: You indicate you want deflection at point B, but there is no point B shown on your diagram, only a dimension B. In the future, it is better if you label key points on your beam with, e.g., capital letters, and label dimensions with lowercase letters. Where do you want the deflection? At the end of the undercut? Or at the location of applied force F?

nvn said:
Khowe9: You indicate you want deflection at point B, but there is no point B shown on your diagram, only a dimension B. In the future, it is better if you label key points on your beam with, e.g., capital letters, and label dimensions with lowercase letters. Where do you want the deflection? At the end of the undercut? Or at the location of applied force F?

I want the area between the base(bottom) and B to flex much more than the top part (from B to A). The top part's bending should be negligible. I'm looking to calculate deflection at B.

Khowe9: The deflection at point B is yB = [F*(B^3)/(3*E*I1)] + [F*(A - B)(B^2)/(2*E*I1)]. The rotation at point B is thetaB = [F*(B^2)/(2*E*I1)] + [F*(A - B)(B)/(E*I1)].

Thanks nvn, but why is it you're able to sum the two together (equation of force->deflection and moment->deflection)?

This may be basic stuff, but I admit I'm very rusty at it.

Khowe9: The shear force causes a deflection, and the moment causes a deflection; therefore, you must add them together.

I believe you, I'm just not familiar with doing this.

Do you have any links to some reading material regarding the summing?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the cantilever effect on different thickness plates?

The cantilever effect on different thickness plates refers to the phenomenon where a plate that is supported at one end and free at the other end experiences bending due to applied loads. The amount of bending is dependent on the thickness of the plate, with thinner plates experiencing greater deflection.

How does the thickness of a plate affect the cantilever effect?

The thickness of a plate directly affects the amount of bending that occurs under a cantilever load. Thicker plates have a higher resistance to bending and therefore experience less deflection, while thinner plates are more flexible and experience greater deflection.

What are the factors that influence the cantilever effect on different thickness plates?

Aside from the thickness of the plate, other factors that can influence the cantilever effect include the material properties of the plate, the magnitude and location of the applied load, and the boundary conditions of the support and free end of the plate.

How can the cantilever effect on different thickness plates be calculated or predicted?

The cantilever effect on different thickness plates can be calculated using various analytical methods, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, finite element analysis, and experimental testing. Each method has its own assumptions and limitations, and the most appropriate approach will depend on the specific application and desired accuracy.

What are the practical implications of the cantilever effect on different thickness plates?

The cantilever effect on different thickness plates has practical implications in various engineering and construction applications. Understanding the amount of bending that can occur in different thickness plates can help in the design of structures, such as bridges, beams, and building facades, to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and maintain their structural integrity.