Capacitance and Voltage Confusion

In summary, the conversation discussed a lab where a 10V circuit with 4 100µF capacitors connected in series needed to be analyzed. The goal was to calculate the voltage drop across each capacitor. The conversation also touched on creating another circuit and the concept of equivalent capacitance. Through the discussion, it was determined that the voltage drop would be due to the ESR of the capacitors.
jendead

Homework Statement

This is for a lab I'm doing tomorrow. We will have a 10V circuit with 4 100µF capacitors connected in series. I need to calculate the voltage drop across each capacitor. I also need to create another circuit, but I'll worry about that after I'm sure I'm doing this one properly. :)

Homework Equations

V = q/C, V = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm doing something wrong here.

at C1, V1 = q/(100*10^-6)
at C2, V2 = 2q/(100*10^-6)
at C3, V3 = 3q/(100*10^-6)
at C4, V4 = 4q/(100*10^-6)

Total V = 9q/(100*10^-6)

I used that to solve for q:
q = 1.111*10^-4C

Then I plugged q back into each equation.

V1 = 1.111V
V2 = 2.222V
V3 = 3.333V
V4 = 4.444V

Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
From where is one getting the 1q, 2q, 3q, 4q?

The capacitors have the same nominal capacitance.

I have that because when capacitors are connected in series, the voltage is V = q(1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4), according to my text.

So at the first capacitor, V = q/C, then at the second V = q/C + q/C = 2q/C, and so on.. or am I understanding it incorrectly?

I apologize for bumping, but I still am not sure how to do this correctly.. any ideas?

capacitors in series have the same charge. So they all have charge q.

jendead said:
I have that because when capacitors are connected in series, the voltage is V = q(1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4), according to my text.

So at the first capacitor, V = q/C, then at the second V = q/C + q/C = 2q/C, and so on.. or am I understanding it incorrectly?

Find the fallacy on ur own! Going by ur reasoning.. at third it is.. 3q/C, and at fourth 4q/C. So, total voltage drop = q/c + 2q/C + 3q/C + 4q/C = 10q/C!
Going by your textbook, V = q(1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4). Substituting, C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = C, u will get.. V = 4q/C!
Contradiction!

I think you have misinterpreted. Charge on each capacitor would remain same, because all of them were initially uncharged & they are in series. Also, individually they will have a voltage drop, Vi = qi / Ci.

maybe it would help to simplify the circuit using equivalent capacitance and then work backwards, it might take longer, but that method usually works for me.

Ok, so.. I used V = 4q/C, and got q = 2.5*10^-4C.

I then recalculated the voltage drops, and got these..
drop 1 = 2.5*10^-6V
drop 2 = 5.0*10^-6V
drop 3 = 7.5*10^-6V
drop 4 = 1.0*10^-5V

These still don't look correct (they are much smaller than anything I would be able to measure in the lab). Am I supposed to be finding q, then plugging it back into each voltage equation?

Unfortunately, I don't understand how I would simplify it using equivalent capacitance. We've spent maybe 15-20 minutes learning about these circuits so far - I'm having a very hard time trying to understand how it works without changing stuff around.

Since they are in series.. each one of the capacitors will have same 'q' appearing on them. +q on the positive plate and -q on the negative plate. Thus, voltage drop across each of the capacitors would be Vi = q / Ci. Here C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = C. Thus, V1 = V2 = V3 = V4 = q/C.
Now, V = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4. Thus, each Vi = V/4 = 2.5 volts.

jendead said:
Ok, so.. I used V = 4q/C, and got q = 2.5*10^-4C.

I then recalculated the voltage drops, and got these..
drop 1 = 2.5*10^-6V
drop 2 = 5.0*10^-6V
drop 3 = 7.5*10^-6V
drop 4 = 1.0*10^-5V

These still don't look correct (they are much smaller than anything I would be able to measure in the lab). Am I supposed to be finding q, then plugging it back into each voltage equation?

Unfortunately, I don't understand how I would simplify it using equivalent capacitance. We've spent maybe 15-20 minutes learning about these circuits so far - I'm having a very hard time trying to understand how it works without changing stuff around.

Try this site - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capac.html#c2

As saket mentioned, the capacitors have the same charge as a consequence of having the same capacitance.

I think I get it now.. thanks for the help and link :)

The voltage drop would be due only to electrical series resistance (ESR) of the capacitors. Other than that, in the situation you described, there is no reason for a voltage drop.

1. What is the difference between capacitance and voltage?

Capacitance refers to the ability of a material or device to store electrical charge, while voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

2. Can capacitance and voltage be used interchangeably?

No, capacitance and voltage are not interchangeable. They are two distinct electrical properties that play different roles in circuits and devices.

3. How are capacitance and voltage related?

Capacitance and voltage are related by the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge stored, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. This shows that capacitance and voltage have a direct relationship, where an increase in one will result in a corresponding increase in the other.

4. Can capacitance and voltage affect each other?

Yes, capacitance and voltage can affect each other. For example, an increase in voltage can lead to an increase in capacitance, as the electric field between two conductors increases with voltage, resulting in a larger charge being stored in the capacitor.

5. How can one avoid confusion between capacitance and voltage?

One way to avoid confusion between capacitance and voltage is to keep in mind their distinct definitions and properties. It can also be helpful to remember that capacitance is measured in farads, while voltage is measured in volts.