Capacitance & Inductance in Diff. Dielectric Mediums

In summary, the person is asking for help in calculating the capacitance of a twisted wire pair in 3D with different dielectric mediums. They had planned to use FastFieldSolver and take 2D snapshots, but those options are not working. They are asking for a recommendation for a free/evaluation software or a way to do it by hand or with a script. They have also been suggested to try a site or a electronics catalog for equations and material characteristics.
roTTer
Hello!

How do I calculate the capacitance of a twisted wire pair in 3D? The pair of wire would have two different dielectric(air and insulation) mediums and hence I am not able to figure out how to calculate it by hand.

My plan was to create a 3D Model, mesh it and put it up in FastFieldSolver. But that software is not working.

Another one was to just take 2D snapshots of the wire in different positions as it twists around each other, cascade the capacitance and get the average of those values.

But since that software is not working, can you please link me to a free/evaluation software that would allow me to do this?

Also do you have a way in mind which would allow me to do it by hand or a script?

Thank you for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is great! I was just looking at the wrong areas!

These sites really didn't show up on the first few pages of google because of the formulas not being indexed maybe due to the fact that the content are in a image format and not text!

1. What is capacitance and inductance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge, while inductance is the ability of a system to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How are capacitance and inductance related?

Capacitance and inductance are related through the concept of reactance, which is the opposition of a circuit to a change in current or voltage. Capacitors have capacitive reactance, while inductors have inductive reactance.

3. What is the role of dielectric mediums in capacitance and inductance?

Dielectric mediums are insulating materials that are used in between the plates of a capacitor or around the coil of an inductor. They increase the capacitance and inductance of the system by reducing the electric and magnetic fields, respectively, and increasing the potential difference between the plates or the magnetic flux through the coil.

4. How do different dielectric mediums affect capacitance and inductance?

Different dielectric mediums have different dielectric constants, which determine their ability to store electric charge and energy. A higher dielectric constant results in a higher capacitance and a lower dielectric constant results in a lower capacitance. Inductance is not affected by the dielectric medium, but it can affect the overall impedance of the circuit.

5. What are some applications of capacitance and inductance in different dielectric mediums?

Capacitance and inductance in different dielectric mediums are used in a variety of applications, such as in electronic circuits for filtering and tuning, in power transmission and distribution systems for power factor correction, and in electrical machines for controlling speed and torque. They are also used in communication systems for signal processing and in medical devices for imaging and therapy.