1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of a System (Spherical Conducting Shells)

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical conducting shell of radius 0.1 m has a free charge of -2 μC. It is surrounded by a concentric spherical conducting shell of radius 0.12 m carrying a free charge of -2 μC. Between the shells is a dielectric material of dielectric constant 10 εo. If the dielectric material is linear, what is the capacitance of the system?

2. Relevant equations
    C=(Q/V)=4πεo(ab/a-b)

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted the solution with only the above equation, I'm just not sure how to to include the dielectric constant in my answer. The instructions say that I should use one of Maxwell's Equations. How do I make the connections I need?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    Nvm, I feel that I have the kinks worked out.

4. May 2, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was gonna say, the first thing is to ignore the bit about the -2μC charges!

5. May 2, 2012 #4
    Bingo. Free charge didn't matter.

6. May 2, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might have if the dielectric were nonlinear, but colleges don't pull stuff like that on you!
    (In that case, C would have to be defined as dq/dV instead of q/V, or "incremental capacitance" instead of just "capacitance". Many types of real-life capacitors do display some nonlinearity, matter of fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook