Potential in Concentric Spherical Shells

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for the potential in each region of space between two concentric grounded spherical conducting shells with a charge density ρ(r) = kr^2. The solution for the potential in the space between the shells is V(r) = (1/ε)kr^2/6 - (C1)/r + (C2), with constants of integration C1 and C2. It is noted that the first term on the right does not have the correct dimensions for electric potential. The general solution for the potential in the other regions where ρ=0 is found by applying Laplace's equation and suitable boundary conditions. The boundary conditions for continuity are Vinside(a) = Vbetween(a) and V
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

Two grounded spherical conducting shells of radii a and b (a < b) are arranged concentrically. The space between the shells carries a charge density ρ(r) = kr^2. What are the equations for the potential in each region of space?

Homework Equations

Poisson's and LaPlace's in Spherical Coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved Poisson's Equation for the space between the shells, in spherical coordinates, and arrived at:
V(r) = (1/ε)kr^2/6 - (C1)/r + (C2)
where C1 and C2 are the constants of integration.
What would be the general solution for the potential in the other regions where ρ=0? Would I simply apply Laplace's equation in those regions, than apply the suitable boundary conditions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolaus said:
I solved Poisson's Equation for the space between the shells, in spherical coordinates, and arrived at:
V(r) = (1/ε)kr^2/6 - (C1)/r + (C2)
where C1 and C2 are the constants of integration.
Your first term on the right does not have the correct dimensions for electric potential.
What would be the general solution for the potential in the other regions where ρ=0? Would I simply apply Laplace's equation in those regions, than apply the suitable boundary conditions?
Yes, that will work.

I made a mistake, the equation in-between a and b should read: V(r) = kr^4/20 - c1/r +c2
The boundary conditions should be Vinside(a) = Vbetween(a) and Vbetween(b) = Vout(B) for continuity; am I missing any other conditions? I know there's the discontinuous derivative of potential = some surface charge, but I am not given such a surface charge.

Nicolaus said:
I made a mistake, the equation in-between a and b should read: V(r) = kr^4/20 - c1/r +c2
I believe the sign of the first term is incorrect.
The boundary conditions should be Vinside(a) = Vbetween(a) and Vbetween(b) = Vout(B) for continuity; am I missing any other conditions? I know there's the discontinuous derivative of potential = some surface charge, but I am not given such a surface charge.
I don't understand your boundary conditions. Perhaps it's the notation you are using. The usual interpretation of "grounding a conductor" is to set the potential of the conductor to 0.

The potential is continuous everywhere. As you say, the derivative of V will be discontinuous at a surface containing surface charge.

You will be able to determine the surface charges after you find V.

1. What is potential in concentric spherical shells?

The potential in concentric spherical shells refers to the electric potential at a point inside or outside a spherical shell of charge, where the charge is uniformly distributed on the surface of the shell.

2. How is the potential calculated in concentric spherical shells?

The potential in concentric spherical shells can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. What is the significance of concentric spherical shells in electromagnetism?

Concentric spherical shells play a significant role in electromagnetism as they represent a simplified model for understanding the behavior of electric fields and potentials in more complex systems. They also have practical applications in various devices such as capacitors and electrically charged spheres.

4. Can the potential in concentric spherical shells be negative?

Yes, the potential in concentric spherical shells can be negative. This occurs when the point of interest is located inside the shell and the charge on the shell is negative. In this case, the potential is negative because the electric field is directed towards the center of the shell.

5. How does the potential change when moving between concentric spherical shells?

The potential changes when moving between concentric spherical shells because the distance from the center of the shells is different. As the distance increases, the potential decreases in accordance with the inverse square law. Additionally, the potential may also change due to the presence of different charges on each shell.