Capacitor Disconnected from Battery, changing distance

In summary, when a parallel-plate capacitor is fully charged and then disconnected from the battery, the charge on each plate should stay the same if the plates are moved closer together. This is because the charges cannot flow when the capacitor is disconnected. The solution for this exam problem, which states that the charge should increase, seems to be incorrect.
jeffc313
1.A parallel-plate capacitor is fully charged and then disconnected from the battery. The plates
are then moved closer together, how does the charge on the plate change

it needs to be stated whether the charge on each plate increases, decreses or stays the same

Homework Equations

C=Q/V, C=epsilon_0 * A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

when the capacitor is disconnected, the charges cannot flow. So each one should stay the same, right? The solution for this exam problem that was on last years final says that it should increase. This doesn't make sense to me. Is the solution wrong, or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeffc313 said:
1.A parallel-plate capacitor is fully charged and then disconnected from the battery. The plates
are then moved closer together, how does the charge on the plate change

it needs to be stated whether the charge on each plate increases, decreses or stays the same

Homework Equations

C=Q/V, C=epsilon_0 * A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

when the capacitor is disconnected, the charges cannot flow. So each one should stay the same, right? The solution for this exam problem that was on last years final says that it should increase. This doesn't make sense to me. Is the solution wrong, or am I wrong?
Welcome to Physics Forums.

I'm pretty certain you are correct, for exactly the reason you give.

Q = CV, so the charge would increase if the capacitor remained connected to the battery (V=constant, and C increases).

It sounds like the professor got confused about what the question was asking.

What is a capacitor and its function?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. Its main function is to temporarily store and release energy in a circuit.

What happens when a capacitor is disconnected from a battery?

When a capacitor is disconnected from a battery, it will retain the charge that it has stored. The voltage across the capacitor will remain constant, but the current will cease to flow.

How does changing the distance between a capacitor and a battery affect its performance?

The distance between a capacitor and a battery affects its performance by altering the electric field between the two. If the distance is increased, the electric field weakens, resulting in a decrease in capacitance and a longer charging time. If the distance is decreased, the electric field strengthens, resulting in an increase in capacitance and a shorter charging time.

Can a capacitor be charged without a battery?

Yes, a capacitor can be charged without a battery. This can be done by connecting it to a power supply or by using other components in a circuit to transfer charge to the capacitor.

How do you discharge a capacitor?

To discharge a capacitor, it can be connected to a resistor or short-circuited. This allows the stored energy to dissipate and the capacitor to return to its original state with no charge.