1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor with radius finding the energy density

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    A capacitor is formed from two concentric spherical conducting shells separated by vacuum. The inner sphere has radius 12.5 cm , and the outer sphere has radius 16.5 cm . A potential difference of 100 V is applied to the capacitor.

What is the energy density at r = 12.6 cm , just outside the inner sphere?

What is the energy density at r = 16.4 cm , just inside the outer sphere?

Equations:
    U= 1/2 CV^2/Ad
    U= 1/2 Eo E^2
    C= EoA/d
    V= Ed

C= 8.85*10^-12 *pi * .126^2/.04 =1.11*10^-11
    so next i solved for U, U= .5 *1.11*10^-11 *100^2/pi*.126^2*.04=2.78*10^-5 which is not correct, Help PLease!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi sonrie,

I believe you are using a wrong formula here. The expression

[tex]
    C=\epsilon_0 \frac{A}{d}
    [/tex]

applies to a parallel plate capacitor. The spherical capacitor has a different formula.

The formula energy density = (1/2) CV^2/(Ad) is also normally used for the constant field of a parallel plate capacitor. The other one (energy density = (1/2) [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] E^2) applies to any capacitor problem.

(You might also find that the formula C=Q/V is helpful.)

5. May 5, 2008 #4
    Thanks!

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5
    How do I find E, which I need to find the energy density? Then what do I do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?