Average Energy Density of Capacitor

In summary, an air-filled capacitor with two long conducting cylindrical shells that are coaxial and have radii of 48 mm and 72 mm has an electric potential of -536 V between the inner and outer conductor. Using the equation V = 2k(lambda) ln(b/a), the charge per length was determined to be 7.3*10^-8 C/m. However, in order to calculate the energy density, the length of the capacitor needed to be determined. By using the volume equation for energy stored, the correct answer of 0.0013 was found by organizing the given information and solving for the volume.
xSpartanCx

Homework Statement

An air-filled capacitor is formed from two long conducting cylindrical shells that are coaxial and have radii of 48 mm and 72 mm. The electric potential of the inner conductor with respect to the outer conductor is -536 V (k = 1/4πε0 = 8.99 × 109 N · m2/C2) The average energy density of the capacitor is closest to ?

Homework Equations

V = 2k(lambda) ln(b/a)
Energy stored = energy density * volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the first equation, I was able to determine the charge/length to be 7.3*10^-8 C/m.
So I know the two radii, the voltage, and the charge per length.
However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the length to be able to get either charge or capacitance to be able to plug it into

U = 1/2 qv or U = 1/2 cv^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I realized that the L's cancel. So if lambda * L is q, using .5*λL / (2π(.0072-.0048)) = .0013 but that's not the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I was using the surface area equation and not the volume one.. whoops. I guess I just needed to organize my work more and I was able to figure it out.

1. What is the average energy density of a capacitor?

The average energy density of a capacitor is defined as the amount of energy stored per unit volume or mass. It is typically measured in units of joules per cubic meter (J/m3) or joules per kilogram (J/kg).

2. How is the average energy density of a capacitor calculated?

The average energy density of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the total energy stored in the capacitor by its volume or mass. This can also be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) by the square of the voltage (V) and dividing by 2, as in the equation U = 1/2 * C * V2.

3. What factors affect the average energy density of a capacitor?

The average energy density of a capacitor is affected by its capacitance, voltage, and physical size. Higher capacitance and voltage values will result in a higher energy density, while a larger physical size will decrease the energy density.

4. Why is the average energy density of a capacitor important?

The average energy density of a capacitor is an important factor to consider in the design and operation of electronic devices. It determines the amount of energy that can be stored and released by the capacitor, which can impact the performance and efficiency of the device.

5. How can the average energy density of a capacitor be increased?

The average energy density of a capacitor can be increased by increasing its capacitance and voltage, or by using materials with higher dielectric constants. Additionally, optimizing the physical design of the capacitor can also help to increase its energy density.