Energy Flow in Coaxial Cable with Linear Free Charge Density

In summary: The Joule heating term dissipates energy in the dielectric which would be expected to cause the magnetic field to increase. The energy dissipated is given by ##-\frac{d}{dt} U## and so the magnetic field decreases because the energy is being converted into heat.
GL_Black_Hole

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylindrical capacitor with inner radius a and outer radius b carries a free charge per unit length of ##\lambda_{free}##. The region between the plates is filled with a nonmagnetic dielectric of conductivity ##\sigma##. Show that at every point inside the dielectric the conduction current is exactly compensated by the displacement current so that no magnetic field is produced in the interior. Find the rate of energy dissipation per unit volume at a point a distance ##\rho## from the axis. Show that the total rate of energy dissipation for a length l is equal to the rate of decrease of electrostatic energy of the capacitor.

Homework Equations

Maxwell Equations, Ohm's Law, Energy of Capacitor = ##\frac{1}{2} CV^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Before getting far into the problem I am confused on two points. I can understand where the conduction current comes from, that's just applying Ohm's law inside the dielectric, but I cannot see where the displacement current comes from or how to evaluate the energy dissipation if the magnetic field is zero inside the dielectric.

Physics news on Phys.org
I interpret this problem as a "leaky" capacitor. You charge the central conductor to ##\lambda_{free}##, remove the charging battery and allow the positive charge to leak out to the other conductor and neutralize the negative charge. This gives you a time-varying ##\vec{D}## and hence a displacement current between the conductors. Energy is dissipated by Ohmic losses in the dielectric until the capacitor is completely discharged.

Thank you for the reply. I've attempted the question up to the energy dissipation part now. The problem stated that the central conductor has ##-\lambda_{free}##, so applying Gauss' Law to a cylinder contained in the dielectric at a radius r and with a length L the electric field inside the dielectric is given by:
## E = \frac{-\lambda_{free}}{2\pi r}##.
This induces a conduction current density according to Ohm's Law of ##J = \sigma E = \frac{-\sigma \lambda_{free}}{2\pi r}##.
We can turn this into a differential equation for ##\lambda_{free}## by noting that ## J (2\pi r L)= - \frac{dQ}{dt}## where ##Q = -\lambda_{free} L##.
Therefore ## \frac{d}{dt} (-\lambda_{free} L) = \sigma \lambda_{free} L##, implying that ##\lambda_{free} (t) = \lambda_{free} e^{-\sigma t}##.
So ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial t} = \frac{\sigma \lambda_{free}}{2\pi r}##, and the conduction and displacement currents indeed cancel giving zero magnetic field inside the dielectric.

Am I on the right track with the above work? Additionally I am still at a loss for how to find energy dissipation

You are on the right track, but you need to be careful because of the dielectric. Use ##\vec{D}## in Gauss's Law. Use ##\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}## to find E in Ohm's Law.

Right, electric displacement is used for dielectrics. Correcting that error gives me:
## E = \frac{-\lambda_{free}}{2\pi \epsilon r}##, so the DE for the charge density becomes ##\frac{d}{dt} \lambda_{free} = -\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon} \lambda_{free}##, and the displacement current with the polarization current contribution still cancels the conduction current and it can be concluded that the magnetic field vanishes inside the dielectric from Ampere's Law.

I think you got it now.

So I've worked out the rest of the question and I can get the sensible answer that the rate of energy dissipation per unit volume, ## J \cdot E##, equals the rate of decrease of the electrostatic energy of the capacitor, ## - \frac{d}{dt} [\frac{1}{2} E \cdot D]##, if the Joule heating term only contains the conduction current. But I don't see physically why this should be so.

You start with a charged capacitor in which energy U = ½ C V2 is stored at t = 0. After many time constants the voltage is essentially zero and so is the energy stored in the capacitor. Where did the energy go?

1. What is energy flow in coaxial cable?

Energy flow in coaxial cable refers to the transfer of electrical energy through the cable. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is transmitted from one end of the cable to the other over a period of time.

2. How is energy flow affected by linear free charge density in a coaxial cable?

The linear free charge density in a coaxial cable affects energy flow by determining the strength of the electric field within the cable. A higher linear free charge density results in a stronger electric field, which can increase the amount of energy that is transmitted through the cable.

3. What factors influence the linear free charge density in a coaxial cable?

The linear free charge density in a coaxial cable is influenced by a few factors such as the diameter of the cable, the dielectric material used, and the voltage applied. A larger diameter cable or a higher voltage can result in a higher linear free charge density.

4. How does energy flow in coaxial cable compare to other types of cables?

Compared to other types of cables, such as twisted pair or fiber optic cables, coaxial cable has a higher energy flow due to its construction. The inner and outer conductors of coaxial cable are separated by a dielectric, which helps to reduce energy loss and allows for more efficient transmission of energy.

5. Can energy flow be increased in coaxial cable with linear free charge density?

Yes, energy flow can be increased in coaxial cable with linear free charge density by increasing the voltage applied to the cable or by using a larger diameter cable. However, there may be limitations based on the materials used and the maximum voltage that can be applied before the cable experiences breakdown.