Capturing Screen Activity Is this Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a free software that can capture screen activity in a video format. Several suggestions are made, including Free-Screen, Camtasia, and Jing. The participants also mention the benefits of incorporating such videos in presentations. The app CamStudio is also recommended for its ability to record sound.
Saladsamurai
Hi guys and gals,

I am looking for some free software that would allow me to capture what I am doing on my screen in a video format. Much like a screenshot captures a still shot of a particular screen, I would like to take a video.

I have no budget for this so I was hoping it there was something free out there.
I am running Windows XP, so it would need to be compatible.

Any ideas? All suggestions are welcome :smile:

Thanks,
Casey

Computer science news on Phys.org
Awesome! Thanks Greg. I actually just downloaded a 30-day trial of Camtasia from CNET.com. And it seems to do the job. But I will definitely check out Free-Screen since it most likely gives you a perpetual license. I can see so many opportunities to 'wow' people (sales people mostly;) ) with a presentation that incorporates stuff like this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used an app called CamStudio quite a lot:
http://camstudio.org/

It's free and has the ability to record to flash as well as the usual video formats. Also able to record sound - so you can capture app audio or your own commentary.

What is screen activity and why would I want to capture it?

Screen activity refers to the actions and movements that occur on a computer screen. This can include opening and closing programs, typing on a keyboard, and clicking on icons. Capturing screen activity allows you to record and save these actions for later use, such as creating tutorials or troubleshooting technical issues.

How can I capture screen activity?

There are several ways to capture screen activity, depending on your operating system and the level of detail you want to capture. One option is to use a screen recording software, which allows you to record your screen and save the video file. Another option is to use a screenshot tool, which captures still images of your screen. Some operating systems also have built-in screen recording or screenshot capabilities.

Is capturing screen activity legal?

In most cases, capturing screen activity for personal use is legal. However, if you plan to use the recordings for commercial purposes or to share sensitive information, it is important to check your local laws and obtain consent from any individuals appearing in the recordings.

What are the benefits of capturing screen activity?

Capturing screen activity can have many benefits, including the ability to create instructional videos, track productivity and progress, and troubleshoot technical issues. It can also serve as a visual record of activities for legal or training purposes.

Are there any limitations to capturing screen activity?

While capturing screen activity can be a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. For example, some programs or activities may not be able to be captured due to copyright or security reasons. Additionally, screen recordings may not accurately capture audio or video quality, depending on the software and settings used.