Car turning with external force help from spoiler

In summary, the spoiler system can help reduce the force on the tires when turning, and can also help the car rotate around a corner more easily.
mender said:
I'm not sure how you're visualizing this, but I can tell you that powerful transverse forces are always acting on the car during cornering, ones that are not always balanced or predictable, and the driver is expected to compensate accordingly.

I'm not seeing a situation that renders the vehicle uncontrollable, so if you have one in mind I'd be interested in reading about it.

Essentially, a VERY powerful gale force gust of wind is going to hit the car crosswise, the moment it goes into a turn, and then stop the moment it leaves the run.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mender said:
As an example of that extreme, a go-kart has no suspension and therefore no roll but still has load transfer as dictated by the C of G and track width; by your way of thinking it shouldn't, right?

Hey guys, first off, thanks for all your input. In terms of this quote above, can't you cancel load transfer by adding a torque opposing the torque that is causing it (normal force and lateral friction force). Correct me if I am wrong but the load transfer happens because of a torque from mostly firction (some normal force as well) on all four tires as going arround a turn, they would be in similar directions thus producing a torque that is thus "countered" by increasing load on one side and decresaing the one on another. Again correct me if I am wrong I am just throwing ideas around. Thanks

Last edited:
It would require a wing of very large area.

steve-kinser-519.jpg

There is much more to reap from negating lift/adding downforce than by using an airfoil to affect a car on the axis we are speaking of.

mark77
have you taken the time to READ the posts I noted?

mark77 said:
Hey guys, first off, thanks for all your input. In terms of this quote above, can't you cancel load transfer by adding a torque opposing the torque that is causing it (normal force and lateral friction force).
No, you can't "cancel" load transfer because you can't cancel inertia. It's quite important (to us anyway) that you understand this fact; can you at least address this so we know where you're at before we move on?

If you are meaning "compensate for the load transfer" (and it certainly sounds like that's what you're proposing), that is another thing entirely, but please, let's make sure you have the first part right, okay?